I Am Thinking Of Buying A Ssd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-469e6fb48c, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I was going to buy two SSD's one for my laptop and one for my desktop.

I was looking into Kingston Solid State Drives.

Are they reliable???

Be cause i found this Solid State Drive on both Newegg and Amazon in which case i do have accounts for both systems.

But here is what i Got.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZNM?th=1
    Amazon price.
    120GB SSD 44.99
    240GB SSD 75.97
    480Gb SSD 139.99
    60GB SSD 42.99

Why would i want to spend 42.99 on one small card that is only 60 Gigs of Space.That is like the whole MS OS right there a lone lol.

Now i really don't need to go any higher than 240Gb.I mostly need them to play games more efficiently.My Hardware is pretty good.

New egg is about the same pricing a tad bit higher and lower on certain things.
    http://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSDs/SubCategory/ID-636

I can all ways buy '2' 240Gigs for what i need on both systems.

Total price for that would be 151.94 Which ant bad for two SSD's.

Performance
    Max Sequential Read
    Up to 450 MBps
    Max Sequential Write
    Up to 450 MBps
    4KB Random Read
    Up to 85,000 IOPS
    4KB Random Write
    Up to 43,000 IOPS
    MTBF
    1,000,000 hours
    Which ant bad for that price.

What do you guys think.The only real bottle neck i have in my systems is the Hard disks platters.My desktop can use both IDE cable and SATA port 3

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Go for it! Loving my SSD drive! They were a bit more spendy when I got mine, so I have Windows and most programs on the SSD and store stuff on a old school SATA drive, as mine is not very large.

3. Anon-469e6fb48c

I was going to put a few Game's on it.I got this one instead.

Seems to be a bit better than that one i picked https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJ4UL2S/ref=psdc_1292116011_t3_B00A1ZTZNM

Performance
    Max Sequential Read
    Up to 550 MBps
    Max Sequential Write
    Up to 490 MBps
    4KB Random Read
    Up to 90,000 IOPS
    4KB Random Write
    Up to 25,000 IOPS
    MTBF
    1,000,000 hours

I just need a SSD for better gaming performance.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. Anon-469e6fb48c

Here are my Laptop specs i will be putting it on.

Processor Type: AMD Quad-Core A10-8700P APU Processor
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1 TB Had to replace this drive with in the first month or two i had it.
    Color: Silver
    Optical Drive: DVDRW (R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Display Technology: LED Backlight, HD+ BrightView Display
    Resolution: 1600 x 900
    Processor Speed: 1.80 GHz, with a Max Turbo Speed of 3.50 GHz
    Contained Battery Type: Lithium Ion
    Connector Type: 1 x DC-in, 1 x Ethernet, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone, 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    Battery Life: 5 hours
    Model: 17-g121wm
    Screen Size: 17.3"
    Interface Type: Multi-in-1 Card Reader,I use it for Ready Boost and some back up info.
    Brand: HP
    Video Game Platform: PC
    Condition: Like New
    Compatible Devices: PC
    RAM Memory: 8 GB,Can go up to 16 Gigs i think.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've got a laptop with AMD A8 7410 @ 2.2GHz (max Turbo of 2.5) with R5 Graphics. It originally came with a 2TB 5400RPM HDD. It was sluggish. I put a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD in it. It helped but, it's still sluggish compared to my C2D laptop. I think it's the integrated graphics that's causing it.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Plain and simple, I will never go back to hard drives. Yeah, SSDs still cost more, but spread that cost over the life of the drive and the cost is less painful. Plus, they consume less power than drives and generate less heat too (always nice in notebooks). So over time you save a little in energy costs (and room cooling if your room is air conditioned). Admittedly the energy savings is not much, but it still counts when rationalizing spending the extra money. And certainly, SSDs save you time (especially during boots) and time is money, right?

7. Anon-469e6fb48c

I was able to get my 1tb HDD to boot windows in under 27 seconds that's pretty fast for a HDD.

I should be getting the SD Thursday amazon is pretty quick on shipping.

8. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes it is. Of course much depends on what you have starting with Windows, but still, that is pretty quick.

9. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I have had a very good run with Samsung and Intel SSDs over the years but Kingston is a good brand too. One of the work laptops had a HDD fail and the supplier was out of stock with both Samsung and Intel in 240GB so the HDD was replaced with a Kingston 240GB SSD and it has given faultless service for just over two years.

As a side note I just upgraded three fairly new HP Prodesk PCs from the standard 4GB RAM to 16GB RAM and used Corsair RAM first as I believed them to be better quality but they weren't recognised by the HP mobo so I went back to my supplier who kindly swapped the Corsair RAM for the equivalent in Kingston RAM and after I installed it, the three desktops worked first shot so very happy with Kingston products. Not sure about the Corsair RAM as all 6 RAM modules weren't recognised and I have always used either Corsair or Geil .........Hmmmm..... maybe it is time for me to change brands ;)

10. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

That is good.
    I have two PCs with 1TB SSDs and one is a workstation with an i5 CPU and the other is a water cooled gamebox with i7 extreme CPU and the i5 @3.5GHz boots in 35 seconds and the i7 @4.6GHz boots in 22 seconds.
    I also have a Gigabyte Brix i7 with the NVIDIA 760 onboard graphics as my HTPC and it boots straight into Kodi in about 15 seconds from power on. The HTPC is underutilised so is a bit of a waste but I wanted it to fit in a very small space and being underutilised the fan is rarely audible ;)

11. Anon-469e6fb48c

Here is the specs on the 240 gig drive i got. HDTune_Benchmark_KINGSTON_SUV400S37240G.png

12. Anon-469e6fb48c

Here is my Hard drive i had in it.

[​IMG]

13. Anon-469e6fb48c

Major difference in access times.

This is yours Digerati from my previous posts.

[​IMG]

14. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

New SSDs always bench higher than those that have had several months of use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds