I can only start my computer in safe mode... need help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jack343, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

so bear with me i am def a comp novice. Basically my dell desktop running XP will only boot up in one of the safe modes which obviously m on safe networking right now. ive tried boot normally and last config, as well as system restore to no avail. Ive been doing alot of research and ive tried getting rid of alot of startups and serivices besides thing that looked important. i have trend micro which hasnt found anything, though not sure if it matters but but my trend window looks and acts diff in safe mode. Im also currently running malwarebytes full scan. Now a month or 2 before this first started happening i started getting the system voltage low message which from what i understand is the BIOS battery? though dont know if that has anything to do with it. Then this problem started and i couldnt boot normally for a couple weeks until one day it just started wrking, a week later it stopped again and i started to get low virtual memory messages, and now its been about a week or two since it has except for a few nights ago when messing with the startup and services i restarted and it worked for the rest of the night. However, the next day back to safe mode again. Last night i researched a bunch of services like ctmon and others and disabled them and i got my comp running at 100% but today its sluggish again like nothing happened. SO i dont know if there is something ive missed or maybe the system voltage or virtual memory could be causing my problem, or is it possible that my trend micro is infected? i may have left some stuff out that i have tried but any advice will be welcome. Ill randomly be coming and going from my comp if i dont get back to u right away

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

It sounds like you might have multiple problems. I'll tackle one of them.

You need to replace the CMOS battery of your MB with a new one.

3. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

thank you so much abekl... now the cmos battery is that what the system voltage message is about?

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

It could be. I've never heard of that exact message, so it's either the battery or the power supply that's at fault. It's easier to change the battery, so that's why I wanted you to try that first.

5. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

right on, now is that hard to change? should i take it somewhere? Ill have to look up how much they are too cause $ is tight. do u think that could be anyway connected to the booting prob? Like u said im sure i do have multiple problems, but my major concern is only being able to load in safe mode. also im not sure how much this helps but i was able to find these error logs from the past few days

Saturday, January 28, 2012 DCOM DCOM
    got error "%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B 726-00C04FB926AF}
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 Service Control Manager
    The Trend Micro Proxy Service service depends on the Trend Micro TDI Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 Service Control Manager
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Fips intelppm tmtdi
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 Applicatio n Hang
    Hanging application hh.exe, version 5.2.3790.2453, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 Applicatio n Hang
    Fault bucket 203158677.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 Windows Search Service
    The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again. Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 EventSyste m
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\comxp_sp3\com\com1x\src\eve nts\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

6. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

The error log tells me that something in your windows installation is borked (F*cked). The easiest fix is to simply reinstall windows from scratch. Can you do that?

7. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

hmmm... so basically just reinstall xp from disc? will a reinstall option come up when i put in the disc or is there a certain way to go about uninstalling and reinstalling? and do u know if i would have to reinstall anything else from any other disc?

8. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

yea i have a reinstallation disc but is there anything else id need to do? also will reinstallation wipe my memory should i save anything i need?

9. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Reinstalling windows will wipe out everything on your pc, so you should first save off your documents, pictures, music, etc.. to either an external hard drive, or to cd.

Before you start any reinstallation, you need to have handy the following things as they will be needed, and you might not have network connectivity until the network drivers are installed:
    1. Graphics drivers
    2. Network drivers
    3. Printer drivers

The way you do the reinstallation is to boot off of the Windows cd (have the serial number handy) and select advanced setup. From there, you will choose your hard drive, and choose the option to format it. This is different than a standard install, but it also results in the cleanest installation. Once the hard drive is formatted, you follow the prompts to complete the installation.

Once windows is installed, you immediately install your anti-virus software, followed by your network and graphics drivers. Then install your printer drivers (if needed).

4. Antivirus software

10. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

alright, thank you so much... i just gotta find the rest of my discs now. Illl post back if i find them or not and it helps my problems

11. Jack343

Jack343 Private E-2

For some reason if i cant find find the rest of my discs would there be anything else u could recomend to fix the problem?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds