I cannot ping my workstations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IceLion, Mar 11, 2005.

1. IceLion

IceLion Private E-2

I was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions here. I have a small network of about 70 machines (all XP) to a 2k3 server, and I'm NOT running WINS. They can all authenticate, and I don't have any trouble with any of them not connecting to the server or our fileserver. The trouble comes when I go the other way around. I cannot ping or open any of the client machines from network places. Additionally, I just found out that I cannot ping any of the workstations from a different workstation either. I can ping the server, gateway and fileserver with no problem. I only have one DC which also serves as the DNS and DHCP.

I have no firewall and I can see all of the machines with net view. I cannot however see the server with nslookup from a workstation. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

2. bradster77

bradster77 Private E-2

you should use ipconfig and check a few to see that they are not listed as all one machine....or at least in dos. Other than that, ur pretty screwed, because if u cant ping eachother, there arent really any computers but the one... just forget I was talking.

3. IceLion

IceLion Private E-2

So you mean there's just the one machine? :) Thanks for the response... I rebuilt the DNS and everything SEEMS to be working ok now. We'll see what happens.

4. slot.me

slot.me Private E-2

Probably because of XP's built in Firewall.

I betcha if you pinged one of your XP PC's with a -t switch (even tho' you get no reply) and rebooted that XP PC you would get a reply as it comes back online. You could ping it briefly up until the firewall cut in.

Give it a try, if the above is true then it's just XP's built-in Firewall.

slot :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds