I can't access My Documents folder between 2 conected computers.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skl104, Jul 16, 2004.

1. skl104

skl104 Private E-2

I can't access My Documents folder between 2 conected computers.

1st computer has XP Prof, 2nd XP Home.

I got the next message:

\\Computer Name\My Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Access is denied.

Thank you.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its by design.

To get around it, you will need to either move your documents to Shared Documents, or, turn off simple file sharing, which is not possible in Windows XP Home.

Guest credentials do not provide access to three folders and their subfolders:

Windows
    Documents and Settings
    Program Files

3. skl104

skl104 Private E-2

I'm administrator on both computers (with HOME and Prof, too).
    So, I'm trying to connect as a administrator to both of them.

I can't access anything from the computer with XP HOME. I mean I can't see anything what's on the hard disk with XP HOME OS.

4. Digital010

Digital010 Private E-2

[Make sure you set the same user names on both computers with the same access.
    Share the file or forder you wish to see on XP home.
    Make sure both PCs are on the same workgroup
    Goto my network places, Entire Network and you should see the workgroup, then click there and you should see the share drive from your XP pro pc.
    If that does not work then Share the Entire C drive on your XP Home and do the same.
    If no luck then do the following on your xp pro machine:
    goto START, Run and type
    //nameofxphomemachine/sharename
    and it will promt for user and password, type the login name and pass and it should let u in.

Good luck

5. cfredenberg

cfredenberg Private E-2

Yes and no - Even though you may be administrators locally on the machines, when you try to access a pc remotely you will be treated as a guest. You can get around that by mapping a drive and supplying alternate credentials (entering pctryingtoaccess/administrator for username).

6. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

makes sure your password match also. Same username and pass on both machines.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds