I Can't download updates or even load microsoft's homepage

Discussion in 'Software' started by swigue, Oct 31, 2004.

1. swigue

swigue Private E-2

My comp crashed last week. I am not really sure why but it bluescreened. Anyway after much ado, I decided to reformat the drive and got a friend's copy of XP. I loaded that and want to download auto updates but I am unable to access microsoft's page. There are also other pages that I am having problems with for example, I wanted to register here with my dummy yahoo account to prevent spam, but I couldn't get in. I have friends that are on the same network and they can get in fine. help?

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Since its your friends copy of XP. If he has it installed also chances are you will not be able to download updates. XP is required to be activated inside a 30 peroid. This prevents one copy of XP being installed on more then one computer. If this is not your own operating system, you and your friend might run into some trouble down the line.

:cool:

cooked

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Other than what he said, are you sure you are not infected with a worm(s) or spyware?

Doesn't take much, I've had customers get infected the second I booted up from a format, clean install.

4. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

What you are attempting to do is illegal and we do not allow discussion of topics like this on MG's!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds