I cant get to the user selection screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by coldcell, Dec 6, 2008.

1. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

First of all, I apologize if this is not the correct forum.

Now my problem: I was playing a game when it got stucked. Since ctrl+alt+del did nothing, I restarted my PC.

Normally after the windows finish loading, I'll have a user profile selection screen with blue background. However instead of this screen, I'm given the image of my game when it was stucked (ie the last thing on my monitor when I restarted my PC).

I tried turning off the PC and turning it on again. Now instead of the image of my game, I get a wierd broken looking black/white/silver screen. I assume it wanted to show my game's image but in a messed up version >.<

Anyway, right now I'm in Safe Mode. However, I notice my background's image is messed up too. Not only that, but everything else is messed up too. For example: this website. Right now i'm using Firefox and the background of majorgeeks has the same "shade" as my windows background.. only this one is is majorgeek's color.

All I know is I think either my monitor or graphic card is screwed. I dont know which, I dont know how to find out if it even has problems and I dont know how to fix it even if I do know.

Please help..

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

One of those times I'd love to be sitting infront of the PC to see what your seeing, dunno if you can do us a screenshot of what the screen looks like?

1st thought is that anomalies like this can happen when components get too hot, leave your PC off for a few hours to cool and then boot it up and see what its like.

3. coldcell

Here are the screenshots.

It gets worse btw.. I tried the normal start and now the user profile selection screen is literally flashing white light. :'(

So this is because my PC gets too hot? It makes sense because I was playing a game which demand high cpu and graphic card usage... I'll wait for the next reply before shutting off then.

Attached Files:

4. coldcell

A few hours later and I'm still having the same problem. So I dont think it's a simple overheating =(

Not sure if this is relevant, but I cant seem to change the video setting while in safe mode. I right click the desktop and choose Properties then Settings.

Right now it is 1024 x 768 and 32 bit color quality. I tried changing it to 800 x 600 and 16 bit, then click Apply. But nothing happened and when I close then open the Settings again, it'll revert back to 1024 x 768 and 32 bit.

I've tried installing the latest video card driver but to no avail.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds