I don't trust my kids

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cmdr Chill, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hello Friends!,
    Well I have great news, Since giving up on that belkin router I was able to purchase a Linksys wireless access point, model #BEFW11S4, ( I'm still not clear on the difference between a router and an access point). Now my home network is up and running:). I am very carefull about where I go and what I download, my kids....not so muchrolleyes. Although I have told them....well you know. My question (finally) is this. Since these computers are hard wired can they give my machine something (undesired)? Is there a way to insulate my machine from the kids? I have tried to install the McAfee security suite but it requires more ram than the kids machine has. I installed AVG free but it slowed their machine down so bad I took it off. I have just downloaded the must haves and will try on both machines but I don't think their machine can run most of it. My machine has all the recommended protection including McAfee Security Suite and the safeguards Comcast puts in place (Which are supposedly formidable) but that only protects me from the outside and I don't know if I'm vulnerable from the other computer on my net.
    I plan to give them this dual core when my quad is operational but until then I would like some suggestions for keeping safe until then. Any help will be welcomed as usual thank you so much.
    Cmdr Chill

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

A Routing circuit is an electronic circuit that directs Internet connection to few commuters using one shared connection (like a Cop directing traffic).

A switch is a device that acts as a center to connect few computers together (like hallways that connect between rooms in the house.

An Access Point is a device that allows replacing the wires that connect computer to a Network it is sort of a Wireless switch.

An Entry Level Cable/DSL Router is a combo unit with Routing Circuits and a Switch to connect few-wired computer.

An Entry Level Cable/DSL Wireless Router is a combo unit Routing Circuits and a Switch to connect few-wired computer and an access point to allow wireless computer too.

These three aspects (Routing, Switch, Access Point) of Networking are put together in a plastic box to work together but otherwise each one is an independent entity.

As for Kids Internet behavior.

If File Sharing is Not On your computer, and you use Software Firewall that can block local traffic you are probably safe.

For real extra security, you can use something like this, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

3. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hi Jack! ( I'm sorry I couldn't help myself;)). Thank you very much! that was very helpfull and I have decided to configure a sheilded network (dual router). That, in addition to my software, should keep me safe. You would think I'm safeguarding national defense secrets instead of a bunch of family picts. the way I worry about security:cool. Thanks again, cat5e for the rapid reply and wealth of info. I'll put it to good use.
    Cmdr Chill:wave

4. sorrie

sorrie Private E-2

I should be more careful on what I download myself:) It isn't just kids:) I hope it works out!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds