I dropped my external SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omnipotent_idiot, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Omnipotent_idiot

Omnipotent_idiot Private E-2

I had my external drive setting up on my tower when I accidentaly knocked it on the floor. I thought that the enclosure kept it safe,but when I tried to boot it up, my pc will not recognise the drive. It can read the USB enclosure,but not the SATA drive. What is the best software to recover the info or at least pull a directory listing from the drive?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Omnipotent_idiot

I've tried this program before with no luck. I am almost willing to shell the expense of a professional data recovery company for this,but I will buy the best software if somenone can point me in the right direction?

4. TimW

Computer doesn't see the external at all? No onboard sata connection? Do you here it spin up? Don't know how you could recover data with software if the computer can't see it.

5. Omnipotent_idiot

If i were to take it out of the enclosure and install it straight it in to the pc,my system BIOS would detect it,but windows will not recognize it. I booted straight into DOS to bypass any "SATA drivers" headache and DOS cannot read from that disk.

6. TimW

I'm guessing that it's jammed ....not spinning. Slight chance that if you super cool it it might loosen up ...(freezer bag, suck air out , seal and freeze for 20 or so minutes ....let warm before taking out to reduce any condensation).

7. Omnipotent_idiot

I believe it's trying to spin,I hear it clicking when it tries to boot up. I will try the freezer bag trick,but I thought that was only if the hard drive overheated?

8. TimW

If it is clicking ...that ain't good at all ....the spindle is hitting the platters ...they should float over them ....say good night, Gracie.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds