i dunno what to do anymore!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reinstalledforeverlost, Jul 17, 2006.

1. I have Windows XP Pro. upgraded from Windows Home. Its Medion MD40100 Notebook, Pentium 4. I reformated the Harddisk/copied everything on external Harddrive and upgraded to Windows XP Professional. Know my USB ports don't work, or do they?

I have a mouse and seperate keyboard attached through USB (i have 4 ports on the back of the laptop) and IF AND ONLY IF..they are connected on a reboot they work. If i unplug them after the setup is complete, they will not work again unless I shut off/ plug them in/ reboot. Then poof they work again. None of these ports seem to work after the start up.

My system will not boot with the external harddrive plugged in, and so thus will certainly not work after the start up. It doesn't turn on and doesn't appear in Device Manager or anywhere on the computer system. Windows XP does not even report: new hardware attached. Nothing.

any help or suggestions would be greatly apppreciated.

xx

2. I should also note: If I need to buy something, i will, I just really need access to the external Harddrive as it has all my backup information. Thanks again.

xx

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you installed sp2 yet?

4. Actually No. Does that matter? If i just install the SP2 then everything will work like it did?

tx for responding :)
    xx

5. padams

padams First Sergeant

yeah install sp2, that should fix your usb problem.

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Make sure the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds