I give up, its not meant to be

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmanning1969, Mar 25, 2005.

1. pmanning1969

pmanning1969 Private First Class

My attempt at building a system can just sit in the old closet. Doesnt look like I could do it but I did try.

I finally got it to boot from the cd rom I put into it from another computer but when after XP Pro finished copying its files and said it would reboot in 15 seconds, every time it reboots it just goes right back to the whole installation process again. I went into the BIOS and under boot sequence chose hard disk as the start up boot and it stopped at Verifying DMI POOL DATA..........................It doesnt get any farther.

As far as the other initial problem in another post on this subject, I believe it was the Hard Drive failure. From this point though, windows xp pro wont go any further than its initial copying of files and then trying to start up again.

Maybe I just shouldnt mess around with computers anymore I mean I have lost patience already and its only day 1 of trying to figure out what went wrong. :eek:

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Courage mon brave :D

I'm sure we can help you figure it out, time is relative in the Geekiverse ;)

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Probably silly but remove the disk from the drive and dont give up some guys would love to be able to get thier new build as far as you have got,its probably just something small a dirty cd and check its an "original" copy of win,special "OEM" copies of win are on cheap disks that get damaged easily,when you do get it working all this will be forgotten. :D

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is this a new build?

if so 1st thing to do is to reset CMOS or your Bios in easy terms to default, on new motherboards sometimes this is all thats needed ( had same issue with last Gigabyte mobo I installed in a PC I built ) easy way to reset CMOS is to remove the small button battery for say 10mins or so, re-insert it ( but make sure its clean and free from greasy fingermarks, use a peice of tissue or hankey to hold it )

then boot-up.. enter Bios and make sure the date and time are correct > save settings and try installing XP again.

5. Verig

Verig Private E-2

Reset is a good idea but doing it by removing the battery? Shouldn't every mobo have jumpers for that? Much easier and safer that way.

It's also worth checking that none of your components have known issues with each other. I had a boot problem with Epox mobo and 80Gt Maxtor hd. Of course I didn't know that they don't go together so I fought with the system for a couple of days and finally got it working. It was different problem though, my system went through DMI and crashed just after that.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Removing the battery is fine if you're unfamiliar with the mobo. If you can find the CMOS RESET jumper in the motherboard manual though thats probably better.

Also, you've not told us about your components. What are they?

7. DavidGP

Not all Mobo's have reset jumpers, some makers seem to have done away with them over the years.

also while I thing of its just double check all your connections are firm.. even if you have to unplug and plug them back in.

8. Brewsir

Brewsir Private E-2

Not just the cables either. Make sure memory, video card, etc., are all properly seated. I've had similar issues because a stick of memory, or vid card weren't fully seated.

9. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

this may not be it but after it reboots it will ask you to press any key. if you do it will start the installation over again. don't hit any keyboard keys and just let it do its thing and should carry on with the installation. just a thought sm

10. DavidGP

good thought Steve.... I think pmanning has a few good options now to keep on with this PC building project.

11. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Just one thing to add about the battery. Setting the CMOS jumper is the exact same thing as removing the battery. You're just opening the circuit that the battery is on. The only fear would be of a voltage arc while removing it. However, there really isn't enough voltage in the battery to cause such an arc. Therefore, it's just as safe as clearing it with a jumper. :)

12. pmanning1969

Thanks for all the encouragement. Here are the specs again.

Foxconn MOBO 939 PIN
    AMD 64 3500 +
    128 MB Mad Dog Video Card
    1 gb Ram
    480 power supply

The Hard Drive that failed me was a Western Digital 80gb, the one the MOBO recognizes is a Seagate 40 gb (interim hd only).

When the screen starts up, IT SAYS WINFAST POST OR DEL FOR SETUP.

Thats how I get into Bios. I put it to boot from cd and after a bit it says hit any key to boot from cd, I do then screen goes black for about 2 minutes and then says windows setup now initializing.

When the XP Pro copies all the all the files, it automatically reboots by itself, there is no touching of the keyboard or any other ways to stop it.

After that, it just goes right back into the whole process again and when it gets to setup again, it says another windows file already exists from the previous setup.

I tried to go in Bios and then into boot sequence and put hard disk as the boot up thinking I could get the files from there because if the startup process starts all over again, it must be because its booting fromthe disk still?

Not sure whats going on. Is it possible that this Seagate hard Drive isnt reliable or defective? I am begining to think both hd's THAT i HAVE USED are not reliable at all.

Should I go ahead anyway and pull the CMOS Battery? by a new HD? change the boot sequence again? I think I must be close if windows XP is trying to load right?

13. steve Max

I know you are frusterated, but hang in there. Just to be sure boot from cd is in the first boot order, put in xp disc close drive and press f10 save any changes "y" enter it will boot off of cd. It then says to press any key to boot from cd,press one, when it says in 15sec the machine will reboot, let it. When it boots up again it will be a black screen just like it was when it first booted and will ask "to press any key to boot off cd". Don't. If you do it will start all over again. It should then continue installing. Just to confirm what you have done so far. Like I said hang in there.

14. pmanning1969

So in the Bios, switch from hard disk bootup to cd rom boot up. Put the disk in after computer re-starts and when Bios screen sets up hit f10 to save?

Then enter "y" for save to cmos? then let reboot?

15. DavidGP

Yes ...pop your XP cd in the drive and enter the bios set 1st boot device as CDROM and press F10 & Y to save... then the PC will reboot to CD

16. pmanning1969

Everything I have done so far, does it mean the MOBO and cpu are just fine?

I got everything plugged in and now I am having the windows loading problem. This is all brand new stuff so I am worried that I may have to send it all back.

New memory, new video card, cpu, heat sink, MOBO etc..

17. steve Max

My concern is that after "computer will reboot in 15 sec" when it posts again it asks to "press any key to boot from cd" that you are pressing a key. Are you? If you do it starts the install again. At this part you do not press any keys. Just leave it alone and it will continue the installation again. Let us know. good luck

18. steve Max

Another thought. If you get windows on, if your copy does not have service pack 2 on it, make sure the windows firewall is turned on before you go online. If you don't you will be bombarded with virus's

19. Slipstream

Slipstream Private E-2

I had this same problem. reset the bios, and then reinstall windows. when it says its going to reboot in 15 seconds, hit enter, that reboots it right away, then before it says boot from cd, remove the cd from the drive, and close the drive. it should start from the hard disk, and you will see the bootscreen. then, it will ask you to insert the disk eventually, do so. it should do the rest pretty much by itself, with you only having to enter a few things.

20. pmanning1969

I have XP PRO, dont know If I have service pak or not. How do I turn on the firewall before I get online?

21. steve Max

First off did your install work? To turn on the firewall after your internet is set up go to start,connect too,show all connections,right click your connection,properties,advanced and check the firewall box. Then get all the critical updates from microsoft.

22. pmanning1969

Havent tried it yet, I am at work, Seagate Technology to be exact.lol

I just bought a Western Digital Hard Drive 200 GB for 80 bucks and a DVD burner for 45.00. When I get home I will begin the process again but this time with a few Beers in me.

I appreciAte all the help Steve and everyone else. I will try it tonight and post on here whats going on. :D

23. pmanning1969

If it doesnt work this way, what is the next step? is it the hard drive? I just bought a new one just to make sure.

If XP wont work, try 98 se then? try Floppy? I am just trying to get what plan B might be. Thanks alot.

24. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Try taking another computer, and installing windows on the drive there, then moving it to your new computer. It's not the best solution, but if it gets the computer up and running, then you should be good to go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds