I Hate The Internet - Wireless signal suddenly sucks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ardabus, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

I'm going to freak out!

Once upon a time everything was fine. I have Time Warner cable with their modem, a DLink DIR-820L dual band router on the south side of my house, and a dlink extender on the north side. I had a wireless signal in every room of my house, and outside throughout the backyard. Suddenly I had no internet, and after a week of dealing with Time Warner tech people telling me to power cycle my router and modem over and over (idiots) i finally got a new modem.

Well now my wireless signal is absolutely horrible. The only thing different in the chain is a new Arris modem/router combo, but the router is disabled as i have the Dlink and extender. Nothing has moved or changed otherwise. The wireless works, but i'm currently sitting about 15 feet away from the router, outside, and nothing works at all. And it used to work perfect in this exact spot.

I'm not even sure what to do, as i don't see how a new modem would affect the wireless signal strength. Mind you that when i am connected to the router, my speed is great. My TWC plan speeds are 50 down and 5 up, and hardline speed tests are exactly that. Even when i'm standing next to the router or in the room with the extender, i get 30down and 3 up wireless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and i can provide any info you need. Thanks so much!

-AR

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It could be something as simple as the neighbors got a new wireless router too and you are both on the same channel.

Try a different channel. I find channels 11, 9, and 6 work best, in that order.

3. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

That worked! I was on channel 10 and i changed to channel 11 and everything is better.

Thank you so much! I'm glad it was that simple.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad we could help.

Have a great day!

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's your problem - judging from my experience dealing with several customers of TW. :(

Hopefully the different channel continues to serve you well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds