I have 1.25GB of Ram but its still slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ben.Ks, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Ben.Ks

Ben.Ks Private E-2

I recently had an "upgrade" to my computer. I'm rockin a Pentium 4 on a D845EBT Intel motherboard. I'm running XP Home. I have a 1GB ddr ram chip and a 256MB Ram chip. Now I know they're the same DDR because I took the 2 sticks of 512 out of this computer and put it in my old one and they work great. I just did an everest report and under "Memory Controller" theres something that says "Maximum Memory Module Size 512 MB." Does that mean I can only have 2 512's in there?

2. Ben.Ks

Ben.Ks Private E-2

I just tried putting the 512's back in to the two slots and it didn't improve at all. It got a little worse.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hello,
    Your board will support this:

• 2.5 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
    • Unbuffered, unregistered single-sided or double-sided DIMMs
    • Maximum total system memory: 2 GB
    • Minimum total system memory: 64 MB
    • Maximum system memory per channel: 512MB
    • 200/266 MHz DDR SDRAM DIMMs only
    • Serial Presence Detect (SPD)
    • Suspend to RAM
    • Non-ECC and ECC DIMMs
    This means that your computer can only accept 2GB of RAM overall, with a maximum of 512MB of RAM in each slot. This RAM can only be speed rated up to 266MHz. Therefore, if you have 512MB of RAM in each slot, you have maxed out your computer's RAM capability.

4. Ben.Ks

Ben.Ks Private E-2

I changed the ram to one 512 in both slots and its still acting slow. It's fast for some things but other stuff it takes a good 30 seconds. For example. Opening google chrome is a breeze, try and go to a website using the address bar takes a good amount of time. Even using google it takes a while. Once i'm in a website it's just click click click. No problems with speed. Its the same with a lot of my programs. Windows Media Player opens in 2 seconds flat, but try scrolling through the music and it freezes up. I've searched on this problem and I've heard suggestions of the registry having to be cleaned up. I tried downloading a few registry cleaners but they all ask for money or will do half the job for free.

Now. My friend who previously owned this computer had the 2 512s in there and everything was fast. The only change I've made to the computers hardware is going from the 250 gig hard drive to a 380 gig hard drive. I know it shouldn't be an issue for changing the hard drive because he had a 1 tb hard drive in here before and it ran fine.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

What's the rpm on that hard drive?

6. Ben.Ks

Ben.Ks Private E-2

I'm not sure. Where would I find that info?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

8. Ben.Ks

Ben.Ks Private E-2

I left my pc on all night last night and I just went to check out the forum and its fast! Real fast! I can minimize windows media player while having the toolbar active and it goes into the toolbar mode no problem. I don't have to wait for 30 seconds to do anything. So as far as I can see, it seems that its fixed its self. But thanks anyways!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds