i have a problem with false readings

Discussion in 'Software' started by red death68, Feb 18, 2009.

1. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

i have my computer telling me that i have a removable disk (E) and i have local disk (G) with a question mark over it i have only one hard drive so idk whats going on can anyone help me?

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Don't take this the wrong way but I have to ask...do you have a flash drive or a card reader attached to your computer..

3. red death68

lol ya but it was doing this befor i attached it

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your PC a OEM as in HP, Dell etc? as its likely to have possibly a restore partition that could cause this with one drive letter.

The other maybe that the OS thinks that th edrive is still attached, if you right click in My Computer and choose Refresh does this make a difference?

Also do tell us what OS and SP this is as at times the advice can be different?

5. red death68

i have a dell dimension 8100 with win xp pro 2002 sp2 and no refreshing didnt help it but restarting did the weird thing was that it was doing this after logging on right after a reboot without any drive attached i does this every so often

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have any media card slots or use external drives as sometimes if you have an application like a backup one that defaultly saves to this drive, it may hand onto the drive letter when removed and have the ? symbol on it.

Possible also is faulting cables in the IDE ones, or they are loose, so unplug and re-plug back in so that they are firmly connected.

7. red death68

lol i checked all cables tight and i dont have any media card slots only a flash drive and regular harddrive

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds