I have no idea what I did...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lorn, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Lorn

Lorn Private E-2

Okay, I'm not too sure what I did, and I don't know that much about computers, so please bear with me. Let me explain what I did first.

I have Windows ME and Office XP.

I have a Trojan(Jeem) and I went online and found out how to get rid of it. The message boards I went to (it wasn't these) told me to go into the system registry and delete certain keys. I had already turned the system restore off, so when I deleted these keys, it was in the off-mode. While I was in the system registry, I found other files of adware, and so I deleted those as well. Anyway, my computer froze, and I was forced to restart it, but when it restarted, it wouldn't go past the log-in stage. Everything before the log-in stage would work fine though. I would log-in and then the screen would go blank(my desktop) and stop thinking. When I would hit CTL-ALT-DLT, there would be nothing in the task list, and I couldn't get past the blank screen.

I have no idea if it was something I did, maybe I deleted a key I shouldn't have...I dunno. Can you help me get my computer working again? I had files on it that I would rather not loose...thanks if you can help. Sorry if this was in the wrong forum.

Lorn

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

well well well. looks like we have a bit of a connundrum here. seems that you deleted vital registry keys with system resore off. Now, im not one to lecuture, but i feel that a short one is needed to prevent further mishaps. do not edit the registry unless you know exactly what you are doing. do not turn system restore off when editing the registry, if anything, turn it on. ok, now that that is over with. i know its a long shot, but do you remember what keys you deleted? probably not. The others may have other solutions, but it looks to me that you are going to have to reinstall windows.

3. Lorn

Lorn Private E-2

Ah, *wince* I think the lecture was well-deserved on my part for my stupidness. =\ I have to say, I don't remember what I deleted. So on to my next question, I have the windows cd, and I put it in, and start the computer, how do you get it to go to the cd to reinstall Windows?

Lorn

4. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

5. Lorn

Lorn Private E-2

Thankyou

I followed the FAQ and I set my first-boot device as the CD ROM, but the Windows CD won't start. The light comes on and the CD spins and whatever, but nothing happens or comes up. The FAQ said if it didn't work, go and use the floppy, but I don't have one.

Meh...I feel so...naive...

Lorn

6. Robster12

You can get a bootdisk from this site here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

I would suggest that you read the "Read1st" page that the guy has linked on the right hand side, there.

Naive? Me too. I'm dealing with stuff now that I haven't done yet.
    This computer stuff never stops. I don't see how anyone can learn it all.
    :rolleyes:

:) ;)

7. Lorn

Lorn Private E-2

You guys are lifesavers! Thank you so so so much! I'm happy to say my computer is up and running again, and I didn't loose anything!

This messageboard is now in my favorites, never fear I'll be back!

Thanks again!
    Lorn :)

8. Robster12

Woot, baby baby!!!
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

9. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

You got that right -- these people are SMART...and spread the news, too.

WELCOME to Major Geeks. This place is the best. Don't apologize - just live and learn and LISTEN to the advice you get (like you did) and all will go well with you. ;)

Everyone makes mistakes and the "lectures" are from people who may have made similar mistakes too -- yikes -- :rolleyes: And one day you'll be here giving a post to a newbie and helping them NOT make or to UNDO a mistake. It's a great feeling.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds