I just bought a new CPU and it makes noises.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NuB@Useast, Oct 3, 2005.

1. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

Hi, Last night I bought a P4 3.0GHZ comp. For some reason after 10-20 mins my computer would get hot and it would start making these loud noises like a machine work shop, i'm guessing it's because of the fan? my computer uses one fan and so does my sisters but her's doesn't make any noise at all. also, when i turn on the computer(after it's been off for the night) it doesn't make ANY noise at all, i'm guessing the fan works to hard and intends to work it's self off and make these noises. would you know any idea's on fixing this problem?

Problem:

Fan intends to make to much noise when comp gets to hot.

2. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

you know what get a new heatsink i recommend Zalman owning one myself. They are SUPER quiet!! and my temps are 34 degrees celcius idle. And be sure to get artic silver 5 too for about 8 bucks... so thatll cool ya down and keep ya quiet! PEACE :cool: total cost'll be about 45bucks! and its DEFINATLY WORTH IT!!

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

There are alot of things you can try. But if its New and you can take it back I'd go that route first. It does't sound right, and if its that loud let them plug it in to prove it (if needed). Save your money for the upgrades you want, vice need.

4. zepper

zepper Corporal

You may need to get inside to check to see that any case fans are connected properly and blowing in the proper direction. Fans mounted in the front or sides of the case normally blow into the case (called intake fans), while fans mounted on the rear or top of the case generally blow air out of the case (called exhaust fans).
    . Then make sure the heatsink/fan unit on the processor itself is mounted properly and that the fan on it is connected and that the fan is blowing in the proper direction (usually down into the heatsink).
    . Next check for obstructions to air flow (particularly in the path of the front intake fan) and clean them up as much as possible.
    . If you do all that and it is still overheating - take it back.

.bh.

5. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

Oh! There we go, after checking my sister's comp she has one fan on the motherboard and another up top in the rear and another one on the case to the left hand side. The computer I got only has one on the mother board. No wonder! What are the uptop / case fans I'll be looking for?

6. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

I've tried moving the wires away, it's not that.

After researching the problem over the internet, it said when the computer get's to hot the fan starts to work to hard. temp goes up the fan goes faster and ends up making noises. I only have one fan, the other post a member made I should be looking at cus most comps have 3 fans right? well this one has 1 :(

7. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Can ya get a picture of the case ( inside & out ) & post it here? If we know what it looks like, then we can better suggest what you might need to do.

8. NuB@Useast

NuB@Useast Private E-2

ah, i don't think i can. no web cam ;/. anyways i called up the computer person and he said i don't need 3 fans, he just said the noise was coming from the processor and he just forgot to install a heatsink.

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Your computer person forgot to install heatsink??

Your computer person Sucks! You'll be lucky if your CPU still works.
    I would request new CPU as your's may be damaged.
    Fire the computer person!
    If you owe him money you should forget to pay him! "LOL"

Those P4's run hot with the heatsink installed, Best thing buy good aftermarket HSF like a Thermalkright XP-90 & get your self a few good case fans.
    You also need a new computer guy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds