I just finished downloading all Microsoft Updates, and lost my sound...

Discussion in 'Software' started by frenchhorn90, May 21, 2008.

1. frenchhorn90

frenchhorn90 Private E-2

I did a virus scan, got rid of all of them, and downloaded ALL of the Microsoft updates. Now I have no sound. . . anywhere. Not even for normal functions. When I go through the control panel, it says that "No Audio Device is Detected". . . but the problem is on my laptop. . . which has built-in speakers. I am at an utter loss. Please, help...:confused

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Unfortunately MS Update site is only good for critical and suggested updates specifically for the operating system. If you downloaded and installed any softwarte updates the site recommends your in trouble. On the update site even to this day it has C-Media drivers listed in the software section for my PC, trouble is I don't have C-Media sound on my pc (its an nvidia sound chip). Once along time ago I did download and install it without thinking and lost my sound as it replaced the nvidia software and drivers.

You could go to the trouble of identifying the incorrect drivers and remove them and then reinstall the correct ones but it will be a pain. It would be much easier to use system restore to go back before the MS update and then do it again but this time don't do any software updates. Microsoft is well known for getting these wrong during the scan of your pc.

3. frenchhorn90

frenchhorn90 Private E-2

Thanks. That didn't even cross my mind. :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds