I Keep Losing Ip configuration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaruler, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jaruler

jaruler Private First Class

HI guys

my network adapter card for the internet keeps losing the IP config for router it goes through for internet.

nvidia nforce 10/100 mbps ethernet adapter

i keep having to go to (win 7) teh network and sharing area and then change adapter settings then disable and then enable again to pick up the right IP (IPv4) and then ok for about 10 min or 30 min and then have to do it again.

when i go to the IP details when incorect it says autoconfiguation IPv4 169.254.205.26 so something is attempting to autoconfig instead and getting it wrong each time and i lose connection. I have a steady broadband virgin line. and when it drops out it goes to a public network and not the main one for access to the internet.

i thought it was the router first so bought a new belkin one N150 but it is doing the same thing so it must be my computer.

even going through the disabling and then enabling does not work every time and i could be down for 10 min at a time redoing it until it works,

I work and play on this machine so i would very much like to rectify the problem please.

At times doing the above will make the router turn off if i ask it to sort it out itself.

thanks

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi there,

There are a number of bits of extra info needed. I assume that you are using a wired eithernet connection?

Are you using Fixed IP Addresses or Dynamic IP Addresses (DHCP)?

The address you have listed below is not an eithernet IP. These normally are 192.168.1.XXX where XXX represents the number of asset on that particular Subnet.

All of this information can be found as follows

Click start and in the find box at the bottom type cmd and hit enter. This will open the dos prompt window. type

ipconfig /all > C:\ipsettings.txt

then hit enter

ipconfig /all will look up and return all your network settings. > C:\ipsettings will save them in a txt file called ipsettings in the root of your C:\ drive.

Open the text file and then copy and paste the settings into your reply

3. jaruler

Thank you for your reply

i have a desktop wired via cable to the wireless router then on to teh virgin media box.

i am using win 7 so cant bring up dos prompt like i used to before on exp etc. i type in ipconfig. it shows the exe program, i click on it and runs for a split second, enough for me to see a flash of it on screen and then it vanishes.

via the network sharing centre

when i look at my adapter when working fine i get the following
    DCHP enabled yes
    there is a physical address also with 6 pairs of letters or numbers
    IPv4 address 192.168.2.2
    IPv4 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    lease obtained 1 march 2012
    expires 2148
    ipv4 default gateway 192.168.2.1
    ipv4 dhcp server 192.168.2.1
    ipv4 dns server 192.168.2.1
    ipv4 ins server
    net bios over tcpip eneabled yes
    link local ipv6 address ( followed byt around 20 letters/numbers)
    ipv6 default gateway
    ipv6 dns server

when it is not working properly
    the ipv4 address is replaced by auto configuration ipv4 169.254.205.26 and my network is changed to a local public one. I do not changer to this mind, it does this on its own accord :(.

any help would be great, I always come here when i have problems as you guys are the only ones it seems that have a clue and able to help with these matters.

thanks

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

a few things spring to mind. you have a router plugged into a router. Therefore there may be an issue with the Router setup.

you can still use command prompt in Win 7 however to save you trouble download the attached zip file. It contains a batch file that will dump your network settings into the route of you C;\ in a file called IPSettings.txt. Run it once when your system is working an post the output file

Run it again when your internet goes down and post the output again.

My guts say that the problem is on the router not your net card

Attached Files:

• IP.zip
      File size:
      143 bytes
      Views:
  5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

The 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address means the comp is not talking to the router. (APIPA - Microsoft's networking app)
    I'd check the power configuration settings on the adapter to make sure the Wake On Lan setting (WOL) is disabled.
    Also I would try updating drivers for the adapter. If the adapter is onboard, you may need the chipset drivers depending on how the mobo is set up.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Does everything work fine if you plug directly into the virgin media device?

7. jaruler

Hi guys

cant try the direct to the virgin box even though it does work it will mean all others in house wont have access and will have to wait until i drop. Which could be a long time.. so far last 4 hours has been ok.

i have already downloaded new driver files from hp. still the same problem before and after.

how do i check the WOL?

we have 1 router only and it is a new one, i bought it as i was getting same problem on old one but cant believe that both belkins would develop the same problem on its own. thats why i think its my adapter card. when everyone else uses the router there fine until i log in. might not happen right away but only happens when i am online on my comp.

i downloaded the zip and opened but again nothing. it flashed and that was that. i can see the zip file in my downloads but it does nothing and i have no folder created for it. i ran it by double clicking it from downloads and via when opened after download. also did a computer search of ipsettings but nothing came up. !!!##

Doing a virus scan now just in case something is messing around with my system. always takes ages though.

anything else i can check for? the machine is only just over a year old so out of warranty now also :(

thanks

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Go into Device Manager, right click on the adapter and choose Properties.
    Go through all the configuration and check power settings and the wake on lan status.

To get the ipconfig command to run -
    Start Orb > Type run in the search box at the bottom > click on run in the listing > a dialogue box comes up > type in cmd > hit OK > you have a command line box.
    Type in ipconfig /all
    You get all the particulars of your networking adapters.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

I just needed to know if everything works just fine if you directly connect to the virgin box. :) This was only for testing.

All that zip file did was run ipconfig/all and redirect the output to c:\

You should now be able to run at the windows + R prompt: notepad c:\ipsetting.txt

On a computer that is working, is it a static IP or is it set for DHCP?

On a computer that works and the one that doesn't, can you run the following command and post the results here?

netsh dhcp show server

This will give ALL the dhcp servers that are available, not just what ipconfig /all shows.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

you dont actually need the run stage. you an just type cmd straight into the search box. the btch file i wrote runs ipconfig then dumps the settings to a txt file.

I had a similar problem to this when I had my router set up to work as with a fixed IP from my service provider when I acually had dynamic IP. I dont think that is the case with your problem though.

I suspect that there is a problem with the DHCP settings. I would check all PCs on the network to mae sure that they are all running DHCP. I sonds like the IP that is being assigned to you PC is already used by another C on the network. Also check smartphones etc.

Im not too sure whether a DHCP server will assign an IP that is alreaady in use by another PC with fixed IP or whether it will skip to the next available one.

11. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Ensure universal plug and pray (UPnP) is disabled in the router.

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

BTW disabling upnp can cause issues with programs not opening ports necessary to run correctly and isn't likely to help with this issue.

13. jaruler

Hi guys

sorry for long wait

it was fine until this morning.

I did the ip config by just typing cmd in search box lower left of windows 7. doing run or typing ipconfig in it does nothing.

i have saved all the network info but should i post all that info? is it safe to as it has a lot of info about ports etc. Wouldn't someone then find it easier to hack in?

Anyhow.

On my on board adapter the only wake features i can see are ticked for allow the computer to turn this device off.
    ticked for allow this device to wake the computer
    ticked for allow only a magic packet to wake the computer.

On the nvidia ethernet configuration settings i find these
    wake on lan from power off = disabled
    wake on patter match = enabled
    wake on magic packet = enabled
    reset phy if not in use = disabled
    low power state in link mode =disabled
    low power idle mode = enabled
    interrupt modem= enabled
    flow control rx & tx = enabled
    device sleep on disconnect = enabled
    priority and Vlan = priority enabled

when i post the ipconfig/all is there any parts i should not post or look to not post?

thanks

14. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

There is no security risk with posting this information.

there are 2 types of IP address: internal IPs that are assigned by the DHCP server on your router (or manually assigned by you if you are using static IPs). These are almost always 192.168.1.XXX. Your externaly facing router will have a external IP address that it uses to connect to your Service Provider. There is something called a NAT server in the router (which off the top of my head stands for Network Address Translation [dont quote me on that though]) This essentially manages the comunication between devices on your local network by routing information between your ISP and local devices. the most important address is the externally facing one that the NAT in your router uses to access the outside world... however this has no protection what so ever. Every webpage you visit can log this address for security purposes. Forums usually ban people by blocking their IP address (ie you can have multiple accounts here at MG thinking that you can troll and abuse people from one account and keep the other legit. Site admin could run a check on the IP address and block all accounts that access the site from that IP. It might be handy to have the ipconfig info for all PCs on your network.

Incidentally if someone managed to hack onto your network it would be easy for them to identify the internal IPs in use on your network. They will invarably all be 192.168.1.XXX so by simply pinging ips you could see which respond.

15. jaruler

Hi all

I am still having this problem this weekend has been really bad and disconnected over 30 times so far for sure.

same thing as i stated above keep losing connection. when i view in my event viewer it says this is the problem on the link. but all the settings are as it should be and already set to automatic.

If anyone can help i would be eternally grateful. it is not the router but my computer,. i am the only one in the house it effects and the only one using a direct cable.

thanks

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/91c23f8f-4100-4ba1-aea6-1f792000c75a.aspx

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

17. jaruler

Hi and thank you for your reply

so are we saying my only option is to buy a usb device?

it is a desktop pc and not yet been inside as not needed too.

But i have been inside plenty. But NIC i dont now what this is sorry. im a begginner compared to you guys.

But i can follow instruction well.

i mean what shall i be looking for settings wise? or what would actually cause it?

Thanks

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A NIC is an ethernet card, the port your cable plugs into.
    [​IMG]

19. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

When I had this problem some time ago I found disabling universal plug and play in the router worked for me after a lot of trial and error, unfortunately this is not a one solution fits all problem,
    Many 7 machines seem to have this problem for different reasons.
    I have been looking around the net for solutions to this problem and some people say disable the
    Bonjour service if it's running other say giving the computer a static IP address worked for them.
    Also as plodr suggests try adding a new network interface card, USB or PCI. You could also try changing the network cable between the computer and router, it may not make any
    difference but keep trying different stuff until you resolve it.
    Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds