I killed my DVD drive through Safely Remove Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aimee Wilbury, May 5, 2009.

1. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

I was trying to safely remove hardware for a USB stick and I clicked on the DVD drive by mistake. :-o Now it's not showing up in My Computer or anything. Suggestions?

Unfortunatly, didn't think to get the specs beforehand, so I don't know about the drives.

It does open up, but if you put a disk in nothing happens.

Another Edit: Nah, didn't "accidentally" click it, I just wanted to see what would happen. Stupid, huh?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Amiee

Have you rebooted yet?

Also check device manager for any issues with CD Drives

3. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

I'll try rebooting. Be back in a second, thanks.

Dunno why I didn't think of it in the first place!

Edit: It works!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If you safely remove hardware, you either have to reboot, or unplug the hardware and plug it back in.

BTW, I get this all the time with vista, it recognises all my SATA drives for safe removal, including the one with the OS on. Kinda stupid, huh?:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds