I lose my internet connection 5 to 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmagee007, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bmagee007

bmagee007 Private E-2

Computer HP Pavilion a520n running Windows XP Home edition SP3. I lose my internet connection 5 to 10 minutes after turning my computer on. At first I thought that there was a problem with my wired network adapter. So I disabled it and installed a wireless adapter. Rebooted and had the same problem. I ran SUPERAntiSpyware which detected --TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-RIMCUD-- file name and location –C:\ Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\SDM143\RESOURCEDLL.DLL—item Quarentined, did not fix the internet connectivity. Ran McAfee antivirus with 3 tracking cookies detected. Ran Malwarebytes Did not complete scan,(became slow to respond) DIRECTORY -- System Volume Information. Well over 4 hours scanning that directory (System Volume Information). Terminated program. I only have a small window to get online. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

3. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Yea I had a very similar issue about 3 or 4 years ago. It seemed like malware issue so I spent a while trying to get that resolved. Afterwards the issue was resolved for about a week and it came back :(
    I ended up reformatting and doing a fresh install.

4. bmagee007

bmagee007 Private E-2

Thanks. Will repost to Malware thread with results of scans. Already reinstalled OS 6 weeks ago, trying to avoid that hassle again. This thread can be closed. See you on the other side.

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Thanks for the update, if you still have issues regarding your connection after the malware removal process, post back and we will see if we can fix it for you ;)

iain.t :major

6. bmagee007

bmagee007 Private E-2

It looks like I may be back. Malware not looking like the culprit, I will let you know. Thanks

7. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

try changing your security type to WEP and see if this changes your issue. Not recommended that you stay with WEP as it is less secure than other types, but it's worth a try.

Also, you have updated your wireless device drivers? Do you happen to have a usb wireless adapter around? If you do, it's worth trying it to test if it will also drop the connection.

8. bmagee007

bmagee007 Private E-2

Wireless USB adapter also drops connection. I could not update the driver because the netgear program said no internet connection, even though my web browser was working online.

9. bmagee007

bmagee007 Private E-2

Not the card, not the driver, not a virus or malware. I still don't know what the problem was. Ran across a link that suggested that I run PC Doctor after the connection was lost. I thought that PC Doctor was a diagnostic program, but it seems to have repaired the problem. I have been online for over an hour with out any problems. Go figure. Thanks for the assist and suggestions with my problem. This is one for the archive of weird problems.

10. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Thanks for the feedback ;), it's good to hear that the problem is now resolved.

Iain.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds