I lost My Mouse

Discussion in 'Software' started by Salvatore, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Salvatore

Salvatore Private E-2

Hi I have a problem that maybe someone out there has the answer too. The other day I disconnected my computer to clean my desk up and everything was working fine. I have a PC running windows XP. When I rehooked everything back up, i found that the computer no longer was seeing the mouse, I have a USB mouse that was plugged in, the curser was in the middle of the screen but it wouldn't move, When I pulled the USB mouse plug out and replugged it in the computer saw it as new hardware at it started working again but when I turned the computer off and then turned it back on again the same thing happened with the mouse, it didn't work, the computer didn't see the mouse until I unplugged it and replugged it in again, only after doing that was I able to use the mouse. i just don't know what could have happened because it was working fine when I disconnected the computer the first time. Thanks for any help.

Sal

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Things to try:

Do other USB devices (such as a printer, webcam etc) work ok in the same port?

Have you unplugged the computer from the mains, left it around 30 minutes, then rebooted it and seen if the mouse works ok?

3. Salvatore

Salvatore Private E-2

Hi, thanks for your help. USB are working fine but I will try uoplugging and see what happens.

Thanks!

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

When you say "USB are working fine" do you mean other peripheral devices that plug in to the USB? So the mouse is still not been continually and consistently recognized?

As you posted this in the Drivers Forum, would I be correct in assuming you have the most up-to-date drivers for both the USB hardware and the mouse?

5. Salvatore

Salvatore Private E-2

Hi The USB mouse that I use does not need any installed driver, it's the type that when you plug it in it works fine but if you leave it in and shot off the computer then the next time I turn it on the mouse won't work until I unplug it and plug it in again , then it works fine. I have tryed the other USB ports and it's the same. I also have the original mouse that has the "PIN" plugs but that doesn't work either when I plug it in. I just can't figure what happened.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds