I messed things up pretty bad this time. (Tried fixing window with recovery disk)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kasten, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

Ok so my PC wasnt booting up, so I put in the recovery disk and installed Win XP over my existing XP OS. I chose the option to keep existing files. Well my PC boots up now but my desktop files are gone (stock background now) and my desktop documents are gone. The programs in the "Programs" file are still there. But everything in my Documents folder is history. I tried to do a system restore and I dont have any points.

The original Doc&Settings folder "Kasten" is still there but the properties says the folder is empty and when I try to open it says access denied. Unlocker doesnt seem to unlock it. I cant find any missing files in recuva.

Is there anything I can to get my info back?

PLEASE HELP! :( :confused

2. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

ANyone have any ideas?

3. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You didn't perchance backup your My Documents before you did the repair (reinstall XP)?
    I've done the repair from XP CD procedure many times, but I can't recall if I backed up the My Documents folder first or not.
    In any case, the rule is always backup your important documents often.
    I have a backup routine that runs every week automatically backing up everything to an external HDD.

The desktop wallpaper will be reset to the default anytime you run the repair function of the XP CD.
    Hopefully the image itself was saved somewhere other than your My Pictures folder, for that is part of your missing My Documents folder files.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Follow the steps in the article to take ownership of the folder. You probably had the previous XP install password protected and you had to enter the password to login. This is why the previous documents folder is showing as empty and denying you access; it's a security measure implemented by XP and was initiated when you decided to password protect your OS and files. There may have been a problem with the previous user profile/user account information and this is why none of your desktop shortcuts and personal settings didn't "crossover" to the repaired OS install. Once you take ownership of the folder, all your documents (pics, vids, music, etc) should be accessible and should open as long as you have software installed to associate the files with (Windows Media Player for music and some vids, Paint or Picture Viewer for the pics, Word or Excel for your documents, etc).

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

edited.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. Kasten

Kasten Private E-2

:dancer:dancer YOU GUYS ROCK!!! :dancer:dancer

I completely thought I lost 22GB's of info. I almost teared up when I read dlb's reply :celebrate I could of handled the loss of my desktop but there was one document I needed for work and sure enough (And it completely goes with what was mentioned) the Desktop was locked in the folder too. For all who replied, THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you THank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :major :major :major

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

So.... Am I to assume that you got your data back?
    ;)
    Just kidding.... Glad to be of assistance :D

:major
    [dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds