I messed up my wireless connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete22, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

I noticed my wireless connection was not secure.

So I tried to go in and fix it. :-o

My brother said I could change the name of it too. Well it changed the name, but it changed into something totally different than what I asked for. Now it doesn't work at all.

I am using vista with a linksys G24 router. I can still use my cable, but would like the wireless connection to work so I could use the internet with all my computers.

Please help, I'm in over my head. :-o

Pete22

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you could take a look at this link - http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/Routers - and find the model number or look at the router itself for something along the lines of a WRT54GS number, it would help.
    Probably the thing to do is to reset the router to factory default condition and redo your connection from the beginning.
    Having the correct model number would allow some more specific information to be given.

3. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

Ok. This is the router:
    Wireless-G BroadBand Router
    WRT54G version 8

I was able to get it working again on one computer, but it is still not secure.

What do I do now?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Considering that WEP is not secure and WPA, which was considered secure has now been hacked in a minute
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137177/New_attack_cracks_common_Wi_Fi_encryption_in_a_minute
    don't waste your time with encryption.
    I've done the following to try and deter strangers:
    a) turn on MAC filtering
    You will need to know the MAC address of every computer and printer that you use wirelessly on your network
    b) Limit the maximum number of DHCP users
    by default, it is something like 256. I have mine limited to 7. With 6 computers in the house and a printer attached to the router - that pretty much uses up all the addresses
    c) turn off the SSID so your signal is not broadcast
    d) put in a unique SSID (username) and put in a very secure password - a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers and make sure it is not a dictionary word
    e) disable remote management (that means that someone from outside your LAN cannot get into your router settings and make changes to your setup

Common sense:
    run a software firewall and security programs
    browse with anything but IE
    never do sensitive things, like online banking, on a wireless connection; take the time to hook up a wire to your computer and the router to do the sensitive things

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds