I messed up now!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crystal Dragon, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Crystal Dragon

Crystal Dragon Private E-2

cleaning inside my computer I had the bright idea to take the (i think) the CPU with the cooling box and fan, off. Lots of little pins, can't get it back in, can anyone HELP????? Is there a trick to it or did totally screw my computer???

Crystal

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Make certain none of the pins have been bent.
    There should be atriangular indicator on both the CPU and the socket to help insure you have it aligned correctly.
    There should also be some sort of latching device (usually a lever) on the socket.
    Without knowing any other specifics about which motherboard you have, I can't help any further

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

Always twist the heatsink back and forth first. It won't go far but usually breaks the seal between the heatsink and the processor. If you don't the processor will come off with the heatsink.

Good Luck, Jim

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I did this in the early days and bent quite a few pins that I was unable to straighten which got me thinking who can. I took it to a local watch maker who straightened them all out and it fitted perfectly, so Crystal Dragon if you have bent them (which I hope you haven't) for a couple of quid or dollars what ever the case may be take it to a watch maker cushioned in a box ;)

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

I have straighted bent pins on numerous processors some on brand new out of the box ones. The pins are gettng so small now and my old eyes don't work so good up close that I may soon have to go to the jeweler. Great idea Toke.

Jim

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It seems you have removed the Heatsink (HS) and the CPU. I think you are having trouble getting your HS back on correctly, is this right?

Can you take a picture please.

Talking of bent pins really isn't helpful!

Please have a look at this guide for some tips, don't panic:

http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/35/96/359609_359609.pdf

That is just one example of many guides you will find.

Google "Removing the heatsink and CPU" and you will find many more.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds