I Must Express My Frustration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Mar 4, 2017.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

This gremlins infesting my computer make the Balrog from The Mines of Moria seem like a a fluffy stuffed child's play toy. I must tell this tale, it is epic, and it sucks. . .

After some research and a few queries through posts, I thought I chose to upgrade my 4 gig GTX 960 to a 6 gig GTX 1060. I payed about $230 on Amazon. I was excited to boot performance of my overclocked i5 4670K running on an ASROCK H81m-VG4 motherboard.

Card arrives, I install it. I discover my middle-aged monitor has VGA and DVI-D connections and no HDMI. The 1o60 has HDMI and DVD-I connections. No worries, I buy a DVI-D to DVI-I converter on Amazon. I can't get that to work. So, I buy a VGA\DVD-I converter. That won't work either. I buy a DVD-I cable to try, still no luck. I buy an HDMI cable to try on an older monitor and that works fine, but the monitor has ghosting issues. I figure what the heck, I will order a new monitor.

Viewsonic 24" monitor arrives. Most stuff works, but some games don't display properly. I try all combinations of adapters, same thing. The new monitor does not have HDMI, and HDMI worked on the older monitor. I am really frustrated, I return the monitor. Somehow my Windows 10 install gets corrupted.

I tried for a week to fix it. Command prompt commands, forum posts, disk utilities, dead chickens buried in the back yard, midnight rituals, arcane chants, etc. No luck. So I have to reinstall Windows. I download the Windows ISO and try to burn it to a disk. ISO is too large for the disk. Crap. I go buy a USB drive large enough for a Win 10 ISO. When I attempt to boot from the USB I realize that Scandisk does not allow booting from their USB drives, they don't recommend it for whatever stupid reason. So I go buy a PNY that works fine. ISO on USB drive, time to go repair Windows. Mind you I am doing this with my old video card as the new one has display issues.

BIOS starts acting up. Won't recognize hard drives. I am going insane at this point. I update my BIOS, and for whatever reason that works. So, I try to repair my Windows install via ISO. Won' work. Reinstall Windows it is then.

I reinstall Windows. Everything seems to be fine. I plug in my second SATA data drive and I try to activate it through Windows Disk Manager. Being just a data disk it should work fine. Nope. Somehow my BIOS update has defaulted UEFI. I know nothing about UEFI. What I did learn was that UEFI wants to format the second data drive to use it. %#*#Q&!!!!!

Do I buy a HD conversion kit and just use it that way? Do I reinstall Windows again without UEFI? DO I stick my head in a blender? Do I cuss even more and much louder? That decision is pending. I go into BIOS to poke around. I attempt to reset my overclocking options, and guess what, the newest BIOS update removes overclocking options! Some more #^*^@!! No problem, I will roll back the BIOS.

No such luck. My BIOS will not, does not, cannot, recognize the BIOS image on the USB drive. I am numb. This can't be happening. I am just waiting to awake from this nightmare. The insanity, the torture.

At this time, I am contemplating just getting a new motherboard for moderate overclocking. Being a gamer for the most part, that is what I like to do. If soI would then need to purchase a new Windows 10 license. I am not sure if I can overclock via ASROCK's software interface with the UEFI in place, or even how practical that is. I of course will investigate to avoid a new mobo purchase.

My new monitor with an HDMI interface is due today. My GTX 1060 is sitting in a box next to me. My computer's hardware and software are both hobbled. My mind is jelly and my spirit is crushed.

Who would have thought that buying and installing a new video card could be so much fun. I hope you enjoyed reading about my misfortune. I would like to say I feel better about now that I shared my adventure, but I really don't. Sorry.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's just a da*n shame that we weren't really able to help you. I've been through all of your posts about your problems.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Thanks for the thoughts. No worries though, as usual I did learn quite a bit from the learned Geeks of the forum. Thanks everyone.

4. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

The saga continues. Not necessarily related to my initial upgrade but these new gremlins irritate me further. First, my router bit the dust. Then, a day later, my DVD drive gives up the ghost. Does it ever end!? Arghhhhhh . . . . . . .

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My router died last week. I can't wait till the new one arrives. Only 1 computer can go on the internet at a time hooked up to the modem so my husband and I take turns.

On top of that my computer chair broke in January. I bought one but it isn't comfortable (I did sit in it and it seemed okay until I spent some time sitting at home) so I'll probably have to go and spend some time sitting in chairs again at only 2 stores that have computer chairs on display, Staples and Office Max/Depot.

I don't want to buy over the inter net because I'll just end up with another uncomfortable chair.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well written 20valve - If I could not sympathise with you, I could have laughed, as it was I had to smile at your words- Reminds me of the story 'give the cat a pill' -Come on, got to laugh
    [​IMG]
    How to give a cat a pill

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

Earthling, crookedbandit and Eldon like this.
  7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Very timely, as we have to administer second half of worming tablet some day soon :eek: I'd let the vet do it if there was any way to get him into his carrying box without suffering serious injury :rolleyes: Apologies to OP.

baklogic likes this.
  8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have never succeeded in giving a pill to any of the cats I have had -I am useless at it:rolleyes:
    Seriously, 20ValveI hope the upgrading has been more of a success since this thread was about FRUSTRATION.:eek:

9. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I always recommend the 'wrapping up tight in a large towel' trick. Suki san used to hiss a bit at first but it was the only way to cut her nails. Didn't take her long to forget the experience.
    s.

baklogic likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds