I need a media player for linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jim S, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

I need a good media player for linux. (One that has good directions so i can install it easily) The audio player that came with red hat doesn't work right for me. I also want to play some movies as well. I tried Linux media player, but I couldn't get it to install right for some reason. it said it was installed in /usr/local/bin but i couldnt find it there.

2. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Hey Jim S.,
    my fellow linux user buddy! Good day to you!
    Hey, remember that I am so a nOOb, but, I say, it may be time for another partition, to put a knoppix hard drive install on.

Its got Xine on it already. Myself, I'm taking a break from trying to get Fedora to do all I want and using the knoppix since its got multimedia stuff already, that works.

Meanwhile, I can try to download the Xine and mplayer stuff to Fedora other times, when I'm in a “working/practicing” mood.

Anyway, here is a link to xine, which MAY or MAY NOT be helpful to you:

http://xinehq.de/index.php/releases

BTW, I also noticed a security advisory:

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4284.html

woops. That link may be just for Gentoo users :rolleyes:

3. Robster12

4. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

Xine is a good one.

Just a shot in the dark question because I know that I'm having a problem with Fedora right now. Are you using an nForce 2 board with the default AC '97 audio?

5. Robster12

If you are talking to me, Genius Boy, no, I'm not. I have a 32MB vid card that is some kind of generic SiS chip in it or something.
    (I only use the VESA settings in X).

I think I'm going to try to download the source code and compile it for that Helix, just for the fun of it.
    I got the flash player plug-in and the real player tonight and they work fine.

So far, everything in knoppix has worked fine for me, except that one has to add the DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf by hand in order to get kppp to work.

I suppose that Fedora just doesn't give high priority to multimedia. I saw a review where SuSE doesn't, either.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

7. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

My preferene is mplayer for video, xmms for mp3s'.

8. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

I have problems with xmms. Whenever I open a file, it opes the program and never plays the file. when i press play it opens a menu to open a new file and never plays anything.

9. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

xmms comes default with redhat/fedora but due to legal issues it doesn't come default with mp3 support. But don't worry if you just do a google search you can find an rpm that adds mp3 support to xmms and all you got to do is download load it and then click on it. :)

10. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

ohhhhh interesting

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds