I need a Power supply upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadow1like, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Shadow1like

Shadow1like Private E-2

I need a power supply upgrade but I'm not sure which one to get. I want to upgrade to 500Watts so I can run a good graphics card but I also need advice on what graphics card to get.:confused

I was drooling at the :droolATI Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR5 PCIe 4 port graphics card not necessarily the 4 port model but I'm not sure if it's the right one for me.I am shooting for around $150-$200 for a graphics card

I like to run high-end games :majorand I am going to get into video editing and SLR photo editing so I can't just grab an "off the shelf" modelrolleyes

my current power supply is

3.3V&5v=200W

3.3v&5v+12v=330w

Load

3.3v

5v

12v

5v

12v

5vsb

let me know if you need to know any more information

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Shadow1like, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

I'm sure others will weigh in with their opinions about video cards: IMO, just grab the best available that fits your budget...

As far as PSUs, stick with reputable, dedicated manufacturers - don't buy a supply from a manufacturer that does power as a sideline. Newegg.com has great reviews and filterable specs, and eXtreme OuterVision has a handy online calculator with which you can determine your best PSU wattage...

Good luck. :major

3. Shadow1like

Shadow1like Private E-2

Thank you for your reply I actually have a specific graphics card in mind according to my needs (mid to high range gaming with some video editing and cgi futzing) but it requires a 440 watt PSU minimum and I read that it's better to have more power available than have "just what you need" because of power fluctuations when using high graphics or large amounts of computer resources.That is why I was thinking a 500 watt PSU.

that may be a myth but I was thinking it kind of made sense because some computers don't actually show any symptoms of problems until you use large amounts of resources or "make them think" so to speak.

one of my friends that builds and sells computers told me that coolmaster and roswell are really good quality and very reliable I was actually trying to find help on finding a specific model for my system.

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Just going to interceed here and answer about your myth. Your machine will pull only the needed amount of power from the power supply to operate. Ex: Say you have a 500 watt PSU, but your system only needs say 300 watts. It will only pull the needed 300 watts.
    That's just an example, nothing specific to your system.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds