I need a program to erase my hard drive.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cronoisme, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

I got a laptop that I just wanna get rid of and sell. But i dont want to have to format using an xp or windows 7 cd and so forth. Is there any programs out there that will erase my hard drive? Like maybe just fill the hd with 0's and 1's. Like I Just want the computer to be completley clean so when I sell it someone can install their own OS on it.

2. Cronoisme

And if there is a program.. Would someoe who purchased the laptop still be able to place a windows OS cd in the cd rom drive and reinstall windows fresh?

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

4. Cronoisme

Thanks alot man. And your sure once it erases the HD. The perso I sell it to will still be able to install an OS on it?

5. plastidust

Yes. They will however, need the proper drivers for that machine.

6. Cronoisme

Well they can get that off the internet cant they? Its an HP machine. I dont have the discs for it, but im pretty sure they can find them off line as long as they can connect to the internet.

and the program u sent me said it does it by floppy disks. It doesnt have a Floppy drive. Just has a USB and cdrom drive. Can i use that program with a USB or CD's?

7. plastidust

They should be able to as long as they have the model and serial number. Download the "dban" zip file, also download ImgBurn. Extract the "dban" zip file to a folder. The "dban" iso file will be in the folder you extracted the "dban" zip file to. Use ImgBurn to burn the "dban" iso to a CD. Then boot from the CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds