I need AM2+ motherboard and decent PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by claptrap, Dec 18, 2008.

1. claptrap

claptrap Private First Class

I have been very fortunate despite thinking not being able to treat myself, I have managed to get hold of the following components :cool

AMD Phenom Quad 9850 Black Edition 2.5GHz (AM2+)
    OCZ 4GB PC2-8000 Platinum XTC (2x2GB) EPP (Nvidia Approved)
    MSI Radeon HD 4830 512MB PCI-E 2.0
    Maxtor DiamondMax 22 1 TB - SATA-300
    500GB Maxtor - 32MB - SATA2

So now I need a motherboard and a PSU. I don't know much about AMD hardware; can you recommend me an AM2+ motherboard? It should have at least one e-Sata port; take minimum of 3 hard drives, and loads of USB2 ports for all of my peripherals.
    I might later go for crossfire (see my other question about graphics cards) so that option would be useful, and there are some PCI-E1 hardware (e.g. soundcard) that I have my eyes on, so it would be nice to have at least one of those, though at the moment I am happy with onboard sound, or I think I have an old Soundblaster Live from 90's... An easy to get grips of BIOS would be nice, as I am not that techy - and for the same reason I have no immediate plans to overclock, at least not until the PC is struggling at what I'll throw at it.

What about a PSU? Now, I researched power supplies for my son's computer and found out that ATI has admitted that for crossfire you really need a single rail PSU. (Unfortunately I have deleted the link to that, thinking I won't need it any more) However, there are understandably, considering how cumbersome those extra leads are, many modular power supplies that claim to be crossfire compatible. So, which one to go for, what wattage should I get and what make? Considering that I will most likely upgrade to 2x Radeon HD 4850 (though I do dream of HD 4780s of course) in a couple of year's time, when - hopefully - the prices have dropped in the event of better ones having come to the market.

Not wanting to go overboard, I am willing to pay for a little extra for reliable and long-lasting basic components.

And as I don't have a TV, I'm thinking of gettig a TV card: any recommendations? Can they do things like capture clips of even save whole TV programs? This os one component I am not planning to have for more than next couple of years, while I'm in uni, so I don't want to spend for too much on it.

All new and shiny components (apart from an unbranded CD-RW and HDD) I will have leftover components for an almost complete machine (I will need socket 939 mobo or completely mobo + CPU), so I thought I could try and install Ubuntu into it, as I've heard it's a good noob linux... :-o Now, this is a bit stupid question but would my router cope having both wondows and linux machines at the same time? Also, are there linux drivers for Netgear ADSL2+ 902.11g router? I have a model DG834G. I guess Ubuntu comes with drivers for the unbranded optical drive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds