I need an archiver or cataloguer

Discussion in 'Software' started by maryanjo, Dec 26, 2007.

1. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

Like most people, I have saved files on cds, ext. hard drives, zip files, memory stick and so on. To find a file I have to remember on which disk I saved it. This is almost impossible now. My question is: Is there a program that, when I insert a disk it will catalogue what's on it, i.e. file names, content. Then all I have to do is open the program, type in what I want to find, and it'll tell me which disk it's on without me having to pull my hair out searching countless disks? It needs to be easy to use.

I have tried searching on MG using 'cataloguer' and 'archiver' but it doesn't come up with anything directly meaningful.

Would be nice if the program was FREE!

AtlBo likes this.
  2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

AtlBo likes this.
  3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Whereisit is exactly what you want but it is payware. I recently saw a free program that supposedly did the same thing but I can't recall the name and wasn't impressed with the interface. If I can remember how I found it, I'll post back to this thread.

In the mean time WhereIsIt has a 14 day trial--it is worth a look (but I see it is now up to $39.95 for a lifetime license) :(.

4. maryanjo

Thank you lbmest but the program you suggested doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. I didn't realise there was such a big gap in the programming world for such a program. Maybe there are plenty but havn't found them. Guess they're all paid programs. Anyone else out there has any suggestions?

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

6. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

7. maryanjo

Thank you so much for all your replies. Well I seem to have found the ideal solution. It is called Offline CD Browser and it is FREE!!!
    It works well. You put your disks in and you just press a button to catalogue it. You can search the catalogue without having the disks in. You can find files almost instantly on what media its stored. Now I can grow my hair back.
    For those who are also looking for a good cataloguer, give it a try:

http://www.anderssoftware.com/ocdb/downloadpackage.html :wave

8. jrasicmark

jrasicmark Private First Class

This looks to be a pretty old thread, but since I was having the same problem, I thought I would add my two cents just in case it might help others who find their way here.

I used to have a freeware disk cataloguer, but I lost it when I had to reformat my hard drive and I couldn't remember its name. Seeing this thread, I think it may have been Disklib. But it worked great.
    But since I couldn't remember it at the time, a Google search helped me find something called "Cathy". I downloaded it because it's supposed to be small and portable, but I've decided I kind of hate it, because every time I catalogue a new disk, Cathy creates a new, separate document in my documents folder. Even though all disks in the catalogue show all in one database when I open Cathy. So I don't know why it needs so many separate documents. Too much clutter.

So, I think I may try Offline CD Browser or DiskLib. It sounds like they don't do what Cathy does. Cathy works ok, but I don't like the clutter.

AtlBo likes this.
  9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Both Offline CB Browser & Disclib were released almost 15 years ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds