I need help I am a noob( alg.exe)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mikehelp, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

hey geeks,

im a noobie at this stuff and i think i messed up my computer in
    a bad way. Well i didn't know where to post this but ill post it here. About a month ago ,since i didn't know much like I said, I saw this program running in my processes and it was alg.exe, and i thought it was some virus. I got many weird things running that i don't know and i just usually search for them and delete them. I accidently deleted alg.exe from my comp thinking it was one of those spyware or w/e processes i usually have running.(btw if you guys ever heard of fast.exe tell me about it also cause it always appears there recently) Ok so then i looked to see what it was but i saw it was from system 32 and like i said i was a noob and deleted and just then i realized that wasn't a bad process :mad:
    Well so since then i have been trying to do something about, my auto update does not work at all anymore, i can't uninstall my service pack ( my comp i got in 2002 and xp home edition came with service pack 1a im pretty sure) so recently I learned that I shouldnt ignore window updates right after i messed it all up. So yea, basically I can't get any updates, the website freezes on me and when i go to auto updates in control panel Ifreezes there too :mad:
    So guys I assume I can't do anything unless I get sp1a alg.exe from system 32 in windows folder. I already tried asking this guy that helps xp people he send me an alg.exe file from sp2 (i saw it in properties) to put in replace but it still wont work. When i see my processes the thing runs but instead of what it said before, owner i think, it says local service. Like i said I don't know much about comps but i need help from you guys who actually know about this stuff. I didn't install sp2 when it came out b/c at that time i didn't pay attention just letting you know.

So plz som1 helppp me or tell me what to do!!! im desperateee

2. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

alg.exe is generally used for internet connection sharing, and is also used by some firewalls.

you have disabled recieving emails, so if you send to me i will reply with file attached. the file is 45kb

3. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

forget me emailingit to you, didn't notice you already have it. replace the file in \system32.

then if you use internet connection sharing re-run the network setup wizard.

or reinstall your firewall

if neither applies, let me know.

4. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

ok thanks you Feriol pm me your email or post it here

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

BTW, fast.exe is part of Windows XP PowerToys and allows you to switch from one user to another with a single click.

It's up to you if you require it, but it is innocent in nature.

As Feriol said, place the file "alg.exe" in your system32 folder.

If you have your Windows CD then System File Checker may also help if you are still having problems.

6. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

7. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

well i don't know what to do without an sp1a as i belive i can't do anything right?

8. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

9. nmfire10

nmfire10 Private E-2

FYI- It is "Application Layer Gateway Service" and I think it is only used if you have the internet connection firewall enabled for the networking device.

10. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

well all i know is that as soon as i deleted that, my autoupdate became corrupt and i couldn't do anything with it.

Btw Feriol, i just took the link and tried to install it and i got and error:
    Service pack 1 setup canceled.

11. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

well guys forget about sp1a for awhile, i uninstalled it but the thing is i want to get sp2...
    When i try to run automatic updates it doesn work i get the error:
    RUNDLL

An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL
    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sysdm.cpl","System"

i got no clue what is going on but i want autupdate to get fixed so a little help guys?

12. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

People keep helping you, but you don't reply or keep tripping over yourself.

As I said, System File Checker should fix it.

Go to Start, Run and type in sfc /scannow

You will need your Windows CD.

13. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

ok thanks maniac. i ordered a cd since i never got 1 from the begining. Just before suddenly when i unisntalled sp1a or around that time, for some reason autoupdate
    worked. but recently as soon as i reinstalled it with the link below, after the restart, i
    gave me the same error i posted below. Just wanted to let you know.

14. Mikehelp

Mikehelp Private E-2

A sp2 cd btw, wait maniac where can i get a windows xp home edition cd ??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds