I need HELP w/ problems w/ desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by justagirl82, Oct 8, 2004.

1. justagirl82

justagirl82 Private E-2

I scanned with pestpatrol freescan and then went on a cleaning spree. But now I cannot open wordpad files on my desktop - I have to open wordpad and then open them. If I try to open them from the desktop it gives me some message about no program associated with it and to create one using folder options in my control panel. So what did I do here?? lol I don't think it's major, but I'd like to be able to use my desktop short-cuts (ps - other shortcuts to programs work as far as I've tested). By the way, pestpatrol found 99 items :eek:

(Windows 2000 Profressional)

2. justagirl82

justagirl82 Private E-2

Oh yeah, too -> I have some folders on my desktop and I can open them, but if I try to open a word document it gives the same message? I went into folder options and word documents are associated with Microsoft Word Document so what's the deal? And also, the desktop items are frozen (and they aren't 'locked' either). I can't drag them where I want them.

And, I thought cleaning my system a bit would help speed up the opening of browser windows, but nope, they still take a while.

My husband said the other day that my computer (the one I'm talking about here) popped up that virtual memory was low. I did have some trojans on the computer so I chalked it up to that - or am I wrong and there is another problem?

3. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Think you need to tell Windows again, that it should use Wordpad to open word-files.

1. Find a Word-file and single-click it to select it.
    2. Hold down the SHIFT-key while you right-click the Word-File
    3. In the popup-menu select Open With... and Choose Program...
    4. Find and select Wordpad and check the option Always use this program to open these files
    5. Press the Ok-button

4. justagirl82

justagirl82 Private E-2

Tried it. When I checked for it to always use the program to open them and clicked OK it then for a sec a little window popped up about installing something, then it disappears and another little window pops up with the message "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Also, came across some more problems! I cannot any longer right click on a link and tell it to open in a new window. I do it and nothing happens at all. Also, some links I can't get to open. For example; my husband bets on dogs but on my computer he cannot get the window open to watch the dogs. It's at http://www.onlineracing.tv/southland/# and when you click on the 256k video stream it does not do anything (opens fine on his computer, though). Also, he tried to open the dog programs to see which dogs were running but you click on them and nothing happens, though I was able to right click and copy the shortcut and then open it in another window (but I can't do that with the video stream above).

WHAT HAVE I DONE??!! Seems I have messed with the way things work together :( Yep, I will never mess with RegEdit again... never ever :eek:

5. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

This sounds very strange, can you provide some more detail about this window, a screenshot maybe ?

You can try these check points and see if they solve the problem (Especially the re-registering of DLLs)

6. Tribulattifather

Tribulattifather Private E-2

I would recomend starting over and going to Windows Xp.....Email me @ Tribulattifather@Yahoo.com and we can discuss how to backup files, if you think that this might the option for you....

7. justagirl82

justagirl82 Private E-2

Thanks for your advice here! I ended up having to Instant Message all important files to my other computer (which took some time). But it was the only option since I couldn't save to anything (wouldn't work). I went through Win2K emergency repair but that didn't help any. So I re-installed Win2k (without formatting), it said it was 'updating' to Win2k - same thing I guess. That Windows Installer thing ended up being something to do with my scanner software (it needed something). Wasn't until after I re-installed/updated Win2k that it actually asked for the disk. I popped it in and that fixed it.

Anyhow, it's fixed. Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds