I need some help flashing/updating compaq bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by momo318, Jul 8, 2006.

1. momo318

momo318 Private E-2

I just had to put in a new motherboard cos the old one died and now when I boot I get a message about a microcode patch error. Apparently I need to flash the bios so that the mobo will support my cpu (or something...).

It's a P3 1Gig processor. There's no sticker on the board so I ran CPU-Z and got this

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6307/mainboardinfo5ch.jpg

So I figured I need to update from v1.09 to v2.04 and got the rompaq from the hp site (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/10406.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN)

I followed their instructions and when I try to reboot I get a black screen that has a message on the top that says "starting ms-dos" and that's it-----nothing else. I even left it for a couple of hours and still nothing. (tried it multiple times too)

So I figured I'd try an older version and tried to update to version 1.16. With this one it get's into the bios set-up/update whatever and I followed the onscreen instructions etc...but eventually ended up getting the following error messages

"Checksums do not match in file PARROT00.110"

and

"There are no image files on the diskette for the device you have selected"

Does anyone have any idea what may be going wrong and how I can sort it out? I'd really appreciate the help, tyhanks in advance...

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

is this a new board? If not maybe somebody used the wrong update. I have a feeling that you better find out for sure what board you have before it becomes useless. bios updates has to be for the right board, no guessing.

3. momo318

momo318 Private E-2

No it isn't a new board. How do I find out exactly what board it is? I've tried sisoft sandra and cpu-z but they both just say it's a compaq model 06C4H. They both also have the current bios as 686P0 v1.09. I tried searching the hp site for 06C4H and it returned only 2 results both pdf documents for "the Compaq Deskpro EX/EXS Series of Personal Computers Covering Models Featuring Intel Celeron and Pentium III Processors And Intel 810E and 815 Chipsets". The cpu-z test listed the chipset of the board I have as intel i815/E/EP

The guy I got the board from has no idea...How could someone have used the wrong update? Surely that wouldn't work too?

Thanks for the response tunered, I've tried posting on the hp support forums but no-one has replied yet so I really don't know what to do just now (I'm in Africa and can't really afford to get another board, new or second hand)

4. momo318

momo318 Private E-2

the rompaq I tried is the "ROMPaq for Deskpro EX and EXS Series (686P0 ROM)" so I should have the right one...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds