I need some help guys n gals

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Oct 20, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am trying to resurrect my second PC that had a meltdown a couple of weeks ago and i have got to the stage where i can get it to boot but can not get an internet connection, i keep getting the message

Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) is experiencing driver or hardware problems.

I downloaded the driver with my other PC and loaded it direct to the problem PC but it tells me that the drivers are up to date and it still won't go to internet.

Could this be a Mobo problem ??

thanks, Bill

2. natedigity

natedigity Private E-2

could be the ethernet cord? i know it sounds silly, but it happens. what make and model do you have? are you using a router? is your modem definately getting a signal (your isp can tell you this from their end)?

3. xlivegamingx

xlivegamingx Private E-2

Does it show error details in Device Manager? or also does it have any errors for maybe chipset drivers?

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks for the replies.

It was as i suspected a hardware problem, i switched the mobo and hey presto it fired up without problems.
    I am just sad that the mobo was the problem because it was an Asrock and has served well for a long time, the replacement is one i had from a previous build and is just a 38 chipset but not to worry it works.

Thanks. Bill

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Was going to suggest you uninstall the problematic driver and then re-install to make sure it is indeed the hardware. Wooot 2000th post and for a worthy cause.

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I was going to suggest disabling the onboard network in BIOS and going with an add-on PCI network card, as long as the rest of the motherboard seemed to be functioning Ok. Granted I have no idea what, if any, effect the motherboard malfunction had on overall internet functionality. Didn't seem to make a difference in general useage.

I've had a couple of instances where the onboard ethernet was dead, but the rest of the motherboard responded within specs. Once on an ASUS board (mine) and once on an eMachines commercial PC . . . not sure who made the board.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Eagle & Spad

Both ideas are good but in the new year the PC will be redundant as i am going to build an i7 rig so this was just an exercise for me to see if i could get it to work again.

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds