I need to remove smart defrag from windows vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by kwilliams854, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kwilliams854

kwilliams854 Private E-2

I want to remove smart defrag from laptop with windows vista. First of all, I noticed when I go to start, I don't see any "control panel" where I can add or remove programs. Next, I went to start, run, typed msconfig and pressed enter. When I clicked the startup tab, I could not see smart defrag in the list so I could uncheck the box next to it. I do see it when I go to the C drive and then Program files. There are 3 things in that folder, something named config which is type: configuration setting, Iobit smart defrag which says type: application, and taskdll.dll which says type: application extension. I want to get rid of this program because I don't use it and I keep getting a pop up box when I start my computer telling me to update version.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs (uninstall a program). You can uninstall it from there.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your Vista at and is it 32bit or 64bit?

Dont use msconfig to manage any startups as it will be a pain to remove them when/if you come to uninstall applications as they get stuck in msconfigs registry list.

But try the following:

1. Boot info Safe Mode (F8 at boot and see if you can open the Control Panel in the Start Menu) I know you cannot open it as mentioned in Normal mode but try Safe.

2. Boot to normal mode and thend click Start and type this line appwiz.cpl into the Start Search box and hit enter , does Add/Remove open?

3. Open Services up and you can click Start and type services.msc into the Start Search box and hit enter, then look for the SL UI Notification service and Software Licence services and click STOP on each one, then Start the Software Licence service first then the SL UI Notification service and see if that helps after a reboot.

Also let me know what the Startup Type of both of those services is set too, can be Disabled, Manual or Automatic.

4. If add/Remove doesnt open as in #3 then suspect malware and follow the below.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds