I need urgent FILE RECOVERY HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Are-Oh, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Are-Oh

Are-Oh Private E-2

I'm working as a freelance computer tech. I received a computer from a Client last night with instructions to wipe his hard drive and reload Windows XP. Nothing was needed to be backed up. This was an old Gateway computer w/ 4 Windows User account.

I formatted his drive (using Windows NTFS normal format - one partion), reinstalled his copy of Windows XP Home, installed SP2 then defraged the drive. Little more was done as he is waiting on a new Modem.

Today, he called and left a message stating that he needed a few pictures of his late father backed up... this is after the maintenance has been done. Keep in mind, this is all after the fact.

Yes, I feel VERY bad. So, now I'm struggling to find the files using “Recover my files” v2.53 ("format recovery"). I also have “Easy Recovery Pro 6.03” and “Final Recovery 1.21.” However, I have very little experience with recovering... especially from a FORMATED hard drive.

Is there any advice I need to know? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Uh-oh, Are-Oh!

I think you have just two chances: a fat chance and a slim chance.

However, YES, there is something you need to know! Everything you put back on that drive decreases the probability that you'll be able to recover the old fellow's pictures, so use ONLY file-recovery utilities that can be run from a disc, WITHOUT loading them onto the drive you're trying to recover files form.

Good luck, though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds