I/o device error on memory card reader! Need help now! Important!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TAZZtazz77, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TAZZtazz77

TAZZtazz77 Private E-2

every time i try to transfer a file to my memory card this error shows up
    saying about some kind of I/O device error!
    i transferred my folder but it fails to transfer it and that error pops up...

why is this?? i have no extra memory card reader...
    and i need to have my files transferred tommorow!!!!

can u help me fix this?? pls i need help now...

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi Tazz,

open up the cmd prompt

I haven't had this happen with Win 7 so I'm not sure about that one

older version of windows select RUN from start menu and type cmd

from there type "chkdsk X: /f" no quotes and replace X with whatever drive it is.

It should perform a scan and once complete should work just like new!

iain.t :major

3. TAZZtazz77

TAZZtazz77 Private E-2

ok i did wat u said but theres sum kind of a massage after i did it in cmd.exe that pop up saying..
    this massage is in the cmd thing
    [some files allocation tables <FAT> are unwriteable.
    what does this mean???

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

That is because the files have been saved in FAT and not as NTFS , can you access your SD card now and read the files and can you transfer files without the error.

5. TAZZtazz77

TAZZtazz77 Private E-2

i still can't transfer files... =[[ pls help me i need my files transferred tomorrow..=[[

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    From your previous thread on recovering the files from your card with powerdatarecovery. You were able to save all of the files to your hard drive, correct?

8. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Your thread was moved from the Malware Forum to the Hardware Forum which is a more appropriate starting point. This is unlikely to be a malware problem, but rather more likely to be a hardware issue. Possibly a driver issue, or an issue with the memory device itself. Have you tried another memory device? Check them in another PC to see if the memory devices themselves are okay.

9. wilddean

wilddean Private E-2

have you tested any other memory cards, in general the i/o error is either insuficient power or and read write error, if thats the case then you need to work out whats causing the problem, i

is it the memory card - test another one

is it built in to the machine - or if its external see if you can find another suitable cable to rule out the issue,

if it is external is it usb1.0 or 2.0 and is it plugged in to a usb 2.0 slot with the correct drivers installed

all the best

billy

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Admin Edit ~ Merged duplicate threads

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds