I reinstalled Windows 98 SE and it says I have no USB devices and my color settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigdee369, Sep 25, 2005.

1. bigdee369

bigdee369 Private E-2

I recently for the first time reinstalled Windows 98 SE on my 7 yr old at least computer, 300 mhz, custom made computer. I think it is 7.0 Gig and 196 RAM.

My USB ports are not being recognized and I am getting a Microsoft Direct Draw box saying I need 256 colors and I can only get 16. I am an older beginner with computers. I bought my system over 7 yrs ago and I didn't really use it until recently. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

if all you are getting is 16 color you probably dont have the correct video driver loaded is it a separate card or onboard? either way look for manufacturer and model number and if theyre still around go to their website and search for drivers. Windows update may provide some of the drivers also if nothing else go to driversguide.com and register(for free) and try to find the drivers you need. USB drivers would also probably be included in a chipset update for the motherboard

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It sounds like you not only need video card drivers, but also motherboard ones.

Windows doesn't contain all drivers, so you should almost always use the manufacturers latest available ones.

To determine what hardware you have, use EVEREST, which will tell you what they are, and supply links for drivers.

4. bigdee369

bigdee369 Private E-2

Re: I reinstalled Windows 98 SE and it says I have no USB devices and my color settin

Thank you all for responding. I have fixed these problems. I bought a new USB card with drivers and I have found a driver for the video card. Thanks, again.
    bigdee369

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds