I Spilled Liquid On My Laptop, and then....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phibins, Nov 3, 2011.

1. phibins

phibins Private E-2

I Spilled Liquid On My Laptop, and then it fried up (as would be expected).

Once that happened, i sent my laptop to HP to get it fixed.

It came back, and looked great. but when i play videos/movies now, sometime the picture is a bit jumpy and freezes for a fraction of a second (kind of a temporary lag).

Could this be residual damage from the spill?
    Can a cleaned up spill cause lagging in videos?

What should i do to test my graphics card for damage?

Thanks in advance. Any thoughts or speculation is welcome.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

If it was me, it'd be straight back to HP.
    Don't fiddle with it as that may be used as an excuse not to fix it. :(

Bazza

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

+1 for bigbazza's advice.

Given HP did not solve the problem the first time, don't fall for any extra repair fees. You paid them big bucks to put it back in like new condition, if they f:***ed up the repair it is their responsibility to fix it at no cost.

In addition, since this is a re-do, they should pay shipping both ways. If the HP rep doesn't offer it voluntarily, demand a pre-paid return shipping label via e-mail.

Hope this helps. :)

4. phibins

phibins Private E-2

Let me just clear up some facts here.
    i got this WONDERFUL, accidental damage warranty. so the spill was covered for free, shipping included.

What i want to know here, since i am not an expert in computer graphics card... is that would the spill cause a flashing in the video.

As in, does that make sense?

(ie. a flat tire, would not cause a smell of gas. - OR - a magnet on a hard drive cannot erase a single (specific) file)

I want to know if it makes sense that liquid damage would cause jumping in videos. -?-

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try having Task Manager open (Ctrl + Shift+ Esc) and then play a video. Don't set full screen video because you want to see Task Manager. Watch the bottom of the task manager window to see if your CPU ever gets to 100%. If it gets to 100% then I would think this indicates more of a general resources issue rather than a graphics card issue.

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Having dealt with HP warranty centers in Dallas and Massachusetts.... Send it back

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds