i think i erased windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybercep, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cybercep

cybercep Private E-2

what does grub mean when you restart and windows doesn't load and grub is displayed on a blank screen.:confused

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Does the grub resemble a "worm" by chance?

I will guess your system has a worm/trojan/very nasty virus.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think grub is a bootloader. ;)

What was your setup? Windows on one partition and then you added linux to another partition?

4. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

sach2 is correct, grub is a bootloader that is commonly installed with versions of linux.

If windows is the only OS installed, you shouldn't have grub on the computer.

5. cybercep

cybercep Private E-2

everytime i finish loading linux and rebootint so that i can start the program the screen hangs when it starts to load.

6. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

so you installed windows earlier and then installed linux on a seperate partition?

7. sach2

Does linux fully load up--meaning do you get a linux desktop?

Does linux boot by itself or do you need a startup disc?

If you can get into linux, I believe it is a matter of editing the grub file options to add the Windows partition. I haven't done it in a few years but could figure it out if I knew a bit more about your partitions and OS setup. Please let us know if you had Windows first then Linux and if you put them on separate partitions. Basically the layout of your system.

8. cybercep

cybercep Private E-2

no desktop comes up. when it is loading just a blank screen. it hangs for a long time and i get an error message saying x windows failed. lat

9. sach2

I can't help without more information.

When was Windows working?
    Has Linux ever worked?
    Do you have a bootable linux CD?

10. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

This particular message implies that you are trying to start linux and getting an error that the "x server" has failed correct?

11. cybercep

cybercep Private E-2

correct!

12. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

from what I understand, x server is the part of linux that controls your OS video output. I really don't know enough about linux to solve this problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds