I thought i got rid of that?

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKARMYCADET, Jul 10, 2005.

1. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

hi i was messing around with my computer earlyer and i right clicked on the task bar (the thing with the clock on i mean) > clicked properties > then customise...

i and saw a huge list of things i had on my pc and what i still currently have on!

so does anyone know a way of getting rid of things i dont have on anymore? plus if info like that is stored on my pc is there a way i can totally wipe softweare?

any more questions if i didnt make this clear just ask!!

thanks UKARMYCADET

2. nazikiller

nazikiller Private E-2

I can't see a way of getting rid of things you don't have anymore.Let's know if you manage it !!

Do you mean you want to uninstall programs.

If so you want to right click on "start",click on "Control Panel",look on the top row for "Add or remove programs or Windows components".Click on this and you will be presented with a list of the programs you can get rid of.

HTH Dude.

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Remove invalid entries in Add/Remove Programs

Sometimes when you uninstall a program, corresponding Add/Remove entry may not be removed. This may be due to incomplete uninstallation or the poorly designed uninstaller itself. To remove the invalid/orphaned entries from the Add/Remove applet manually.

* Start Regedit.exe and locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall

* Backup the branch to a file. See Method 2
    * Locate the corresponding software entry from the list and delete it
    * Close Registry Editor

There are some {GUID} sub-keys under the Uninstall key. Now what?

Under Uninstall you may see some {GUIDs}. Each {GUID} represents a software product that you've installed. Under the above key, click each {GUID} entry and verify the DisplayName shown in the right-pane. Once you locate the item that you want to remove from Add/Remove Programs, backup the entry to a REG file and then delete the key. BTW, the DisplayName string is reflected in the Add/Remove Programs applet.

Example: PC Inspector File Recovery has the GUID {0DD140D3-9563-481E-AA75-BA457CBDAEF2}

Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ {0DD140D3-9563-481E-AA75-BA457CBDAEF2}]

"DisplayName"="PC Inspector File Recovery"

Orphaned entries are those whose uninstallers are not available [but the registry entry might point to the actual uninstaller file]. You may also see errors like "missing install.log or uninstall.log" while trying to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. The install.log / uninstall.log contains the uninstallation information about a program. When you remove a program from Add/Remove Programs, the log files come into play and remove the corresponding software entries from the registry and the files in the hard disk.

If the LOG files are missing, you may need to reinstall the application again (in the same path) and then try a clean uninstall again. In some cases, the application might be removed, but the entries may still exist in the Add/Remove Programs list. Orphaned entries are usually a result of a system restore rollback operation. Use the above method to remove the Uninstall entries.

Still unable to remove an entry?

If the program uses Windows Installer package, try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the installer information for that program, and also the corresponding Add/Remove programs entry.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

4. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

hi again both of the reply's were very usefull but that wasnt my problem. i am sorry i should have been more specific. here are some images to show you what i mean...
    step 1

then i do

STEP 2

and when i click customise a big list of previously installed programmes comes up and i want to know how to get rid of things on that list. and if there might be traces anywhere elce on my pc..

Attached Files:

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

6. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

how do i backup my registry? sorry for all the questions.

7. DavidGP

no probs.. thats what were here for ;)

Easy way is to just backup the folder in which you are about to delete 2 items.. once you have found that location in the registry right click on the TrayNotify folder and choose Export, choose a location and name to save the registry file as... then follow the instructions on the MS page

if you need to reinstall the registry keys again all you do is find the backed up file and double click it to merge it with the registry again.

8. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

lol, i had to figure out what the heck you were talking about!! :p you have hide inactive icons checked. that's when the little arrow is there. anyway, hopefully they have pointed you the right way to remove them? i have a couple of screen shots below. - g/l sos

Attached Files:

9. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

thanks for the replys havent had time to try them halo i have to go to the cadets!! but what you have said is what i meant. thanks. btw what is a task manager?

UKARMYCADET

10. DavidGP

CTRL - ALT - DEL = Task Manager

I tried this out again yesterday just to basically clear all the junk out of my Notifications List and the steps I took ( if these will help ) are....

Open Regedit ( goto Start > Run and type regedit and hit enter )
    Locate the registry key location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify and right click the folder and choose Export ( this will backup that location for you )

then Delete the two values mentioned ( agian right click each of them and choose delete ) IconStreams and PastIconsStream once deleted hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and look for explorer.exe in the Processes Tab and click it and choose End Process ( at this point it is perfectly normal for your taskbar and all desktop icons to disapear )

then with the Task Manager still open click the top menu option of New Task (Run...) and in the Open box type explorer and hit enter.

then when you check the Customize Notifications they will all be gone ( apart from some running ones ) best bet is to restore all your actual running tray processes is to re-boot.

11. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

thank you halo it worked... i am now going to open a new foroum about the registary because i know you can change create and delete things you cannot it windows and i would like to know more about it. and before you say it i do know it is dangerous but i probably wont do most of the things i just want to know more...

thanks for the help UKARMYCADET

12. DavidGP

glad that worked for you UKARMYCADET ;)

13. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

thanks im just writing the other now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds