i turn the computer on, but there is no beeps and i cannot get past the hp screen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4ty8er, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

hp s5623 windows 7
    I turn the computer on and the fans start there are no beeps and the dvd opens and closes fine. I cannot enter bios at all.
    The hp blue splash screen is on the monitor with three options F10 (setup) Esc (boot menu) and F11 (system recovery). When I shut it off and restart; while pressing the F10 the screen comes up saying it is entering setup, but never happens. Same with the Esc. F11 doesn't even pretend to work.
    I do hope the team of Tim and friends can help.:( :banghead

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Re: i turn the computer on, but there is no beeps and i cannot get past the hp screen

First: Remove any media from the floppy drives, CD/DVD drives, USB ports, and memory card reader slots, and disconnect all non-essential devices (printers, scanners, external hard drives, and similar). Leave only the keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected to the computer.
    Next press F10 repeatedly, even before the HP screen appears and see if you can get into the BIOS.

Startup problems are outlined here at HP
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=4300675&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N249

3. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

Re: i turn the computer on, but there is no beeps and i cannot get past the hp screen

All of the above have been done. I have also taken the battery out and left the computer unplugged for several hours. If you will note in my original post pressing F10 or F11 have no effect except to let me know it is doing something (which it is not.) I have left the computer on overnight while it was "going to setup". I have tried several rescue disks to no avail.
    :(

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

This may or may not help. Unplug the computer from the power source. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Plug the computer back in and try to reboot.

5. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

Thanks tgell.......... tried that a long time ago.... lol
    ;)

6. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

If I could get to bios; then I think I could do what I need to do.........

7. tgell

While booting try holding down a key. It may throw an error and give an option to access BIOS.

Edit: Deleted, saw your first post.

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

If you haven't already, try unplugging the HD and the DVDROM. Then startup and see if it lets you into BIOS. If it does let you in then it may be the HD or CDROM causing it to stall.

9. tgell

I came across a post where the person disconnected his card reader at the card reader (HP computer), not the motherboard. Then the computer was able to boot. After the computer booted, he turned off the computer, reconnected the card reader and he was back in business. If you have a card reader this may be another thing to look into.

10. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

Tried the cdrom; but not the hard drive.......... hummm.... I will try that, but it will take some time, because it is pretty hard to get to. lrolleyes

11. sach2

Is it a tower? You don't have to remove it just unplug the power cable from the drive.

If it is a major pain then maybe the card reader might be a better choice to try first. Tgell is right, HP multicard readers seem to cause problems on many HPs.

I'm just thinking that some device is causing the computer to hang on the HP screen. It is during the HP screen that the various hardware is identified. That it sticks on that screen implies that it is having trouble indentifying or getting past a piece of hardware.

12. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

no card readers..........

13. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

I agree; it's just that it is a slimline and I have to physically remove the cdrom drive to get to the hd power plug. I am going to do it tomorrow, and if it is not the hd, then I am thinking power supply?

14. sach2

I'll take a quick look around the net for that model to see if there is anything specific. Power supply doesn't jump out to me since you get the HP screen.

Most times I've seen hanging on the splash screen it has been a bad DVDROM in a notebook but I have read about card readers and wifi also causing problems. I'll post anything I find.

15. sach2

I'm not having much luck. This thread is the exact problem with the things I would have tried, most of which you have already done.

It may be a problem with the motherboard. I guess clearing CMOS would be worth a try. Second to last item on this page but the only other thread I found ending up with HP replacing the motherboard.

Tomorrow I will see if googling the motherboard "Narra5" and "hangs on HP screen" brings up anything useful.

16. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

Tried everything that was suggested. Then in desperation rolleyes and to try and back up the hard disk, I took it out and put it in another computer. It came right up and wanted to do a recovery. I did that, and after backing it up on an external hard drive; I decided to return it to the original computer thinking it couldn't do any harm. VIOLA!:cool After all the updates; everything is looking great! Who would have thunk it? I spent hours and it was that simple.... I have to thumb my nose at hp in the forums there..:-D

17. sach2

Good work! I had little luck with the Narra5 search. It looked more promising when I originally posted.

When you say it wanted to do recovery, was that just a chkdsk or some other type of recovery?

One quick thought although I don't think it pertains to your model but I did see references to it, is to check the model of your HD. You can see it in Computer>right click C: drive and select Properties then Hardware tab. Just make sure it isn't one of the ones with problems listed here under System Requirements.

18. 4ty8er

4ty8er Private E-2

"When you say it wanted to do recovery, was that just a chkdsk or some other type of recovery?"
    sach2; It gave me the option of a system restore or a system recovery. I chose the recovery. This is a win 7 operating system. It did not want to play nice with the Dell host computer; which to me was a little odd, but have seen this before when a foreign disk is introduced to an environment it is not used to. ;)

19. sach2

Thanks for the reply. So it was a system recovery not a chkdsk (which you had tried) good to know.

I'm still not sure exactly what the problem was other than the BIOS on the HP didn't like the drive. I'm not sure how a system recovery would fix that enough for the BIOS on the HP to accept the drive again. I'll try to remember this thread if I run across the problem again.

I hope your fix helps someone else because it seemed to be a very tenacious problem.

Thanks again. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds