I wanna make games

Discussion in 'Software' started by KOB0724, Oct 5, 2004.

1. KOB0724

KOB0724 Private First Class

Ever since i've played video games i've always wanted to make my own. But due to some limiting factors i've never quite been able to get past what I can do on my TI-83. So what language should I learn if I want to make video games. I know a little bit about linear programming thanks to my calculator but not much beyond that. I know that C++ and Java are to big programing languages but not much more. So what should I learn if I want to make cool high-quality, polygon oriented graphical video games. Maybe i'm stepping outside the boundries of just a hobby but if theres anything not to expensive or extremely difficult to learn I would appreciate the information.

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Right now i am learning Visual Basic .NET

It is very easy to learn, and its "visual" which makes it even easier to learn.

VB as i have learned can be really cool when making games. Especially when you learn to use Flash, and directX. :D

Very soon i am going to begin work on a Mortal Kombat game. :D :p

:cool:

cooked

3. animatorStrike

animatorStrike <a href="http://www.acrodata.com/fun/waaa.jpg">Rid

Making a game is not that easy, so I'll try to break it down. First you need animations (2D, 3D) and programming knowledge. Programming is the hardest part of developing a game. Usually it's best to start out small, so try a something like Perl first. This should get you acquainted with the whole programming process. I would reccomend C or C++ (they're very similar). Java isn't really big with game programmers, but you can use that too. There are many free tutorials on the internet on how to program. This website really organizes their tutorials. Be patient, you're not gonna learn this overnight. Always practice your programming and you will get better. :)

4. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

If you want to make 3d graphical games you will need some heavy knowledge in Trig / Matrices etc.

C++ is the primary game langauge of most 3d games today, in both windows and Linux but you can do Direct X in VB, its not to common tho for big games. But theres lots of games out there, flash based, 2d animations and others. You gotta decide what type of game you want to make first. Its not the tiniest bit easy to make a decent game.

If you go with 3d animations I recommend OpenGL. Your best bet is a book.

5. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

If you want to make 3d games I would recommend using a program to make it rather than programming. A good one to use for this is www.3dgamestudio.com The reason I say this is because there is no possible way you can make a good 3d game by yourself. No one can do it. You need to have a large commitee of people and years of programming and graphics experience. Not to mention all the other stuff that goes on behind it. But if you really want to make a game I recommend Dark Basic. I have had people tell me its easy to learn and built for making games.

6. KOB0724

KOB0724 Private First Class

Thats what I figured. I mean I don't wanna make shitty boring games, I just want cool, decent looking and playable games. Where could I learn Dark Basic.

7. animatorStrike

animatorStrike <a href="http://www.acrodata.com/fun/waaa.jpg">Rid

Dark Basic uses the BASIC programming language. You can learn that here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds