I want to dump IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by todbran, Oct 12, 2003.

1. todbran

todbran Private E-2

I want to dump IE. Problem is, I've tried it before and it doesnt seem to work. Now if you can tell me how to do this, what browser can I use that will still work with Update and WMP? I want a light browser (like Firebird for example, but I know Firebird won't work with Windows Update) that works with all of the same things that IE does without the baggage.

Thanks!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We talked email before and I forgot about Voayager, if you dont like Opera:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=630

I would not bother uninstalling IE even if you dont use it, too much hassle and if you use MSN Messenger or Outlook, it could be problematic. Just ignore it and delete links to it if you must.

3. Mocean

Mocean Guest

perhaps im not understanding this completly, but if your simply talking about browsers, I highly reccomend avant browser. What does it do? It keeps all your webpages tabbed at the bottom in one window. I find it only takes up about 30 mb of ram, while IE can take up plenty more.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If you want to run Windows, keep IE. Which is not to say run it as your default browser, but leave it installed. Any other path is not sanctioned by MS and causes problems.

I use Mozilla for all my browsing, but Windows update and Symantec both want IE.for their updates.

5. trint_1

trint_1 Private E-2

I use netcaptor the most powerfull browzer out there with built in popup killer "no need to install another program to kill popups"But i agree unistalling IE isnt safe to do. Thats the whole reason they tried to sue Gates his built in IE browzer

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

IE is a core component of WIndows. You don't need to browse the Internet with it, but it must be installed.

I only use IE for Windows Update. Other browsers can fake their way to using it (Opera) but I wouldn't trust them to work correctly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds