1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to format my laptop drive and start fresh

Discussion in 'Software' started by CelestialPRO, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

I want to format my drive and start fresh. When I get to the XP setup screen it shows me that there are 2 unpartioned spaces. One takes up like 5 gigs and the other 1 takes up 8 megs. Then there's the partioned main drive. How do I delete all this, so there's just 1 drive I could choose from? The menu says to delete the selected partition press D, but when I do nothing happens. Is there a tool I could use to just wipe everything clean and just re-install windows. I included a screen shot of what i'm talking about.

Attached Files:

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Before giving any advice, do you have the media CD/DVD/s to reinstall the operating system? :)
  3. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

Yes of course...
  4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Download this, http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dariks_Boot_and_Nuke_d4596.html. The download will contain an ISO file that will produce a bootable CD when burned with a program that supports ISO writing. This program will write 0's to your hard drive, and will leave you with one large blank hard drive. Hope this helps! :)
  5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If all you want to do is format the HD then put the first of your OS CDs in the drive and re-boot it will then start the format procedure and will wipe everything from the HD before re-installing your OS it will also allow you to choose what partitions you want.
  6. CelestialPRO

CelestialPRO Private E-2

THanks guys I fixed the problem...
  7. mjthekings

mjthekings Private E-2

hi guys i have a problem. i wantto full format my laptop and start fresh but i dont have the cd please tell me how i do this
  8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

The answer will depend on whether your laptop has a recovery partition or not. :) How are you going to reinstall the OS without either the recovery CDs or another OS installation disk if you choose to blank the hard drive? :) More information is needed!

It is always best to start a new thread with your problem rather than piggybacking on another one!

Welcome to Major Geeks!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  9. mjthekings

mjthekings Private E-2

ohhh thanx how do i start a new thread:):major
  10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

There is one of these buttons at the top left side of all the forum sections (Software, Hardware, etc.) Click it.