I want to gray-out Stand By!

Discussion in 'Software' started by rbenton, May 30, 2006.

1. rbenton

rbenton Private E-2

I've seen numerous postings here and elsewhere on how to get a grayed-out Stand By button back in the Turn Off Computer box. I want just the opposite--I want the default to go directly to Turn Off. What's sickening is that I had my computer set to do this before I installed a new hard drive, and now I can't remember how I had done it. I've tried all the different possibilities in the Control Panel/Power--different schemes, turning "Enable Hibernation" on and off, etc., all to no avail (there's no Stand By tab). I've compared my registry to the old one (to the extent I could--searching for "Shutdown") and can't find the difference. I've gone into the BIOS, and, while there is a Power Management window, there's no option to turn ASPI (spelled right?) on or off, just change something from S1 to S3 (or similar). By the way, I often see the acronym "HAL"--what's that stand for?

All I recall is that I had found an article somewhere, and used it.

Can anyone help (or suggest any other way I can make "Turn Off" the default)?

2. rbenton

rbenton Private E-2

Re: I DID gray-out Stand By!

Just because this may help those of you with grayed-out Stand By buttons who want to get them back, with some assistance I got on another board, I found that by adding the value "Attributes" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPI\Parameters, as a DWord 0 x 70 (hex), the button went to being grayed-out.

So, for those of you trying to go the other way, to restore a grayed-out button, you might want to look for that value, and try deleting it, or playing with its value.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds