I Was Considering Using An Acer Veriton Small Form Pc As A Gaming Computer, But Psu Is 12 Pin Connec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Jul 31, 2017.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I have a small form factor PC (acer veriton VX4630g) and I'm wondering if it's possible to use this as a gaming machine? I could transfer the motherboard to a bigger case so I could use a full size GTX 970 video card, but
    I would have to replace the small 220 watt psu that comes with the pc. The problem is that the mb only has a 12 a pin connection. I can purchase an adapter to go from a 24 pin psu to the 12 pin on the mb, but is this advisable? I don't want to burn up the motherboard by connecting a 600 watt psu through an adapter to a mb not meant for it. The only thing I would be doing is swapping out the GTX 8400 1gb video card with a GTX 970 4gb video card.
    I have an empty medium computer case, a 600 watt psu, and the gtx 970 video card. My only additional cost would be the 24 pin to 12 pin input adapter, so my interest is doing this on the cheap. Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't see anything to suggest the current 220W PSU is an ATX PSU. That means I cannot tell if it outputs ATX standard +12VDC, +5VDC and +3.3VDC and if it does, is it in ATX Standard configurations? The 12 pin motherboard connection suggests a non-standard configuration and when I search for replacement PSUs for the VX4630g, I can only find SFF PSUs with +12V output only.

If me, I would not try this.

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

The computer is question is the Acer Veriton VX4630g - i5 443X which is a small form pc. I was hoping that someone would have input on this. The only information I could find online was at Tom's Hardware and someone with an acer verition M6630G did buy and use a 24 pin to 12 pin adapter so he could use a GTX 970 video card. He said it worked great and that was his last post. So I don't know what the long term results are. So I was hoping that someone with a lot more knowledge concerning the use of an adapter for the veriton could give my some advise. Thanks

4. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I like your avatar. I use to watch Darkwing Duck with my kids lol. My last post showed up after your post did, weird. Okay, I guess I'll try and pick up a cheap MB on ebay. thanks

5. Digerati

Do note a different motherboard is considered a different computer so to be legal, you likely need to buy a new Windows license for it.

I found this adapter but I have no experience with them.

6. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Yup I saw that one also. I'm going to the Tom's Hardware forum and reply to that post where someone purchased it for his pc as I mentioned above. The post was started in 2015 with the last entry Jan. 2016. The last post was someone who also has the Veriton pc and wanted to try the adapter. I'll see if I can found out if anyone from that post has had any problems using the adapter. If anyone gives a reply about it I'll post it here. Thanks

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

He's using the motherboard but he's swapping it into an larger case.

8. Digerati

He said in post #4,

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Then he won't need the PSU adapter after all.

10. Digerati

No, just a new OS license, new motherboard, and perhaps a new CPU and RAM too.

11. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Well I'm not getting any reply from Tom's Hardware forum from the person who actually did it. He did say that is worked, but who knows for how long. Without any info about long term use of the adapter I've decided that I'm just not going to risk it. I'll see if I can pick up a used 1150 atx mb. Thanks guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds