I7 stock cooler Q's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samthunder, Apr 27, 2009.

1. samthunder

samthunder Private First Class

I just built my third rig and got it up and running very smoothly with a little help from you guys. My only nag is that the stock cooler is pretty freakin' loud. I'm not super excited about OCing yet but I was thinking of investing the 40-80 bucks in a new CPU cooler just to quiet this thing down. What are my options? Can anyone find a measurement of the sound levels in the stock I7 so I have something to compare it with? I don't wanna spend the money to upgrade to something more powerful but louder. Thanks for your consideration.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

are you certain that there's no wires or anything rubbing against the fins of the fan?

3. samthunder

Yeah, quite certain. It sounds like the fans stuck at top speed even though my temps are in the 40-50c's even under moderate load. I tried "messing around" in BIOS but didn't have any luck getting the CPU fan adjusted.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

what are the rpms for the fan? should be under the system health in the bios

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just checking on this, but do you have the HSF fan connector is the mobos CPU pin connection, will be a 3 pin one and normally labeled on mobo as CPU Fan?

What motherboard do you have, make and model?

In the Bios settings is there an option for in Hardware Monitor section for say CPU Q-Fan or or Smart Fan or let us know the options you have, as at times you need to set in the BIOS the CPU fan to run at a level determined by the CPU temp, the less the CPU is doing the quieter and slower the fans move, the more it does the faster and noiser the fans get.

A review of some i7 HSFs http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/02/19/ga-1366-cpu-cooler-group-test/1 http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=14

Intel Core i7 full specs sheet

I have an i7 920 with Zalman 9900 and its quiet enough, but I would look at some of the other HSFs in the reviews above if you are to OC, although going to OCing then your needing to have a large airflow CFM fan and then that likely will create noise as the CPU in OC is hotter, which is why many goto liquid cooling.

6. samthunder

Thanks guys, Halo nailed it I think. I'll check through my BIOS one more time to see if I can get it to chill the *bleep* out when I'm not doing heavy gaming. The spec sheet is exactly what I wanted to see the Dcb rating compared to some of the custom cpu fans I've already researched. Thanks much, I'll update this post with whatever I find.

7. samthunder

Sorry, couldn't find the edit post button (does it exist here?)

Mobo is EVGA x58 1366

Idle temp is between 42-50 and I haven't hit more than 60c with intensive gaming. This is with my case fans all set to low. (they're mostly silent at that level, and only louder than the CPU if maxed)

my RPMS are reported as 900-905 for the CPU
    and around 1500rpm for the Chassis and power.
    Aux read 4700! I'm pretty sure I just plugged my case fans into the Chassis, Power, and Aux connections on the mobo but I can check if that is a factor.

Smartfan is set to >60c set fan 100%
    <30c set fan 50%
    for all fans. Unfortunately it won't let me bump the second number any higher than 30c which seems odd.

There is a "manual" option that I can use but I don't know what numbers would be good to start with. Anything look out of place yet? I'm not completely dense but I've done all my previous builds totally in the dark without outside help so maybe I lack some basic logic here :D Gonna go try a few more things in BIOS.

8. samthunder

Edit:

I switched from smartfan to manual and set everything to 50% and I think it's running cooler AND slightly quieter. I'm gonna see what happens if I set everything to 25% Couple things I found in BIOS that I don't understand yet: Turbo mode, Dummy OC and "extreme cooling". I have all disabled at the moment, but maybe I should be using these features.

I can guess Dummy OC is a built in overclock, and I'm guessing Turbo mode is related to OC as well. Should I be using those if I don't have a problem with my temps right now? Extreme cooling has me wondering as there isn't any explanation for the two options under it. Sorry if I'm being too vague about things.

9. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

10. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

it disappears after 30 minutes or so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds