IBM III as gaming machine, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ludvig14, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ludvig14

ludvig14 Private E-2

I have a spare IBM aptiva i would like to make into a gaming machine for the kid,
    IS IT POSSIBLE, AND what do i need as to video card and so on.

IBM aptiva PIII 450MZ
    128 MB ram
    os XP pro
    ndivia 128 r2
    HD 12 GB

pls advice, the kid is a pain. :D

2. Olley

Olley Sergeant

that pc will only run older games... you already seem to have a video card, but a better one could get a little more out of your system. A card such as the nvidia 4 series or something like an ati 9600 card, anything much faster would probably a waste of money on that system
    it would also be advisable to increase the ram to about min 256 but 512MB would be better.
    good luck

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

You could probably get it to player older games but the amount you woulld have to spend to playe newer games you could buy a new system and upgrade the onboard video to a video card.

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, you'll need to tell us what games you want it to play. There are plenty of good older games that this computer could run just fine. For example: Starcraft, C&C Red Alert, The Sims, Deus Ex, Jedi Knight, Diablo, maybe Diablo 2, and 1999 series of sports games are some I can think of off the top of my head. However, I would upgrade the RAM to 256Mb and use Windows 98SE or even Win2000.

5. ludvig14

ludvig14 Private E-2

ok, thank you for your advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds