ibm netvista 8315 and new 1gb.ram big problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rssevyn, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

the ibm had 2 128mb ram sticks and I pulled 1 leaving 1 and added 1gb ram and now when I started pc back up it says :no boot file name received: also says no operating system found. I put old 128mb stick back in and still says same, I powered pc down when doing all this but did not unplug power, thinking maybe that was a mistake.:cry someone please help.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like you could have bumped the HD cable

I would unplug the HD cable form both the motherboard and hard drive and then reinstall it.

3. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

are you saying to unplug HD cable and plug HD cable back in then reinstall ram or reinstall ram then plug HD cable back in?

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

talking about HD cable

5. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

that worked with the two 128mb. sticks back in the PC but still same problem with 1gb. ram stick and one 128mb.

6. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

I'm starting to think this ram stick ( 1GB DDR memory ram PC2700 non ECC 184-Pin DIMM 333mhz ) that crucials memory tool said I needed is the wrong one, here is the one another site and its memory tool said that I needed was ( 1GB PC-2100 DDR non ECC 184-pin DIMM ) have no ideal what to do.:confused

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

try booting the pc with just the 1gb stick of ram.

8. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

cant get it to reboot, tried ctrl-alt-del. but just goes back to what it was doing before. any suggestions?

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Try a hard shutdown/power on. In the case it's a laptop (some desktops also behave this way, depending on BIOS settings), simply hold the power button for 10-20 seconds until it shuts off, wait a second or two, then press the power button again to power on.

10. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

it is a desktop, I also noticed it says memory size error but sites that sell memory ram say it will take this just fine and more, it also says press F1 to enter setup, is there something i can do in the setup utility to get it to work.

11. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

well, after some trial and error I finally got it. I put both 128mb back in so I could get it on the net to download bios update and it did it again and could not get it to recignize the 128mb rams so hit F1 and got some balls and said heck with it dont know much but its worth a try at this point. I hit restore and load default settings and it booted up in windows and thought, it could not be this simple, so pulled the 128mb out of slot 1 replaced it with 1gb, powered up PC hit F1 went back to setup utility, hit restore and load default settings and BAM!!! windows booted right up. Thank all of you for you're input and hope this helps someone some day.

12. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Glad you got the problem fixed now

Is your system faster now?

13. rssevyn

rssevyn Private E-2

yes it is, I have a laptop and the IBM is for my son so he'll stay off mine but he always complained he couldn't download apps for myspace mobster games or something, he won't be back till friday so hope it will do what he needs now,

14. zGreenGhostz

zGreenGhostz Private E-2

Hey people, I was searching for information about a similar problem I'm having with my IBM Netvista and I came across this topic in your forum.

I upgraded my machine from two 128mb RAM chips to two 256mb RAM chips (512mb total).

I basically did the same thing as rssevyn to get the new chips to work with the MB (reset BIOS to default values).

The machine boots and works fine and I saw a big increase in speed. My problem is that it will freeze up, no bluescreen, just completely frozen including the mouse, then after a few minutes the video just goes out with the monitor looking like it has thin diagonal lines going from one corner of the monitor up to the other, covering the entire screen. It stays like that for 1 or 2 minutes and then reboots. The machine reboots fine and works anywhere from a few hours to a few days then freezes up and repeats the process.

My impression (I say 'impression' because I'm not sure it's a correct assumption) is that it depends what I do with the PC. For example: I've noticed Internet Explorer hanging (when it never did before) and then when it restarts the PC will freeze. Also if there are many processes open it seems to hang more readily. When idle it tends to stay up for a few days at a time.

The machine is running an older Windows Server O/s and I need to fix this problem.

One difference between my problem and rssevyn's is that I never downloaded/installed any BIOS update for my machine after the upgrade.

Since the BIOS reported the correct size RAM and the machine booted properly, I never suspected that there could be a BIOS issue, at that time. My gut feeling now, is that it's either an issue with a bug in the BIOS or the Video driver has an issue. (or both!) I'm using the onboard card that shares RAM.

Long post to simply ask where rssevyn got his BIOS updates. I'm guessing from IBM or the Lenovo site but I wanted to see if I could ask where specifically. If anyone knows, your help would be appreciated. I am also searching for that.

15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Old thread and rssevyn hasn't been here since August 2010 so he won't see your request.
    Start a new thread here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    by clicking on the new thread button near the top left and ask for what you need.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds