Icon move on destop

Discussion in 'Software' started by silas, Apr 4, 2010.

1. silas

silas MajorGeek

I figure maybe its a hotkey or something. Never happen before. But I installed zoo tycoon game on pc. And since then is the issue. Some may not when you play tycoon games it full screen takes up whole monitor(you could probably change this) but I don't want to its how I like it. Anyways since no way to click out of it while playing.. I do the hold ALT and press TAB to scroll over to my firefox or destop and go to them this way. Now the problem is I have icons on my destop. Its only 1 row of 4 plus the 2 for tycoon game so total of 6. Now when I ALT and tab out of game it puts zoo tycoon and few 1 other icon to the right. So it makes two rows going down.

Picture of before playing game I move Icons back to normal

While playing games and I alt tab over to destop or firefox... I get

I just assumed it was like a key for something that makes them go there? I don't know. No virus or anything.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

this has to do with the difference in resolution of your desktop without a game running and the resolution while a game is running. For instance, your normal resolution in windows is, for example, 1024x768, but in the game's video settings you have it at 800x600. for some games this will screw around with the windows settings while the game is running, but will return them back to normal when you exit the game. the same thing will happen if you connect to an external monitor or tv from a laptop. If for some reason the game crashed, sometimes the resolution stays.

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

So resolution in the game (which I am sure is bigger then my normal resolution) is what is moving icons on destop from 1 row to two rows? The icons aren't bigger then usual when I ALT TAB to destop. There normal size just moved.:confused

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

That does make sense, Silas. I have seen the same thing. The game resolution needs more space, so it moves your icons. Of course, it would be nice if it put them back for ya too, but it doesn't. :confused

5. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Don't happen to have your icons set to "Auto Arrange" / "Align to Grid" do you? If so, try unchecking those two(2) items.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds